Cooling fan not turning on... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Hi gang,
My gf's 91 Camaro will overheat if it sits in traffic. The cooling fan never turns on. The fan will turn on if you turn the AC on, which you would expect. Do you know if you can turn the fan on manually with a code scan tool? Thanks for your time,

Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

Its been a few hours since you posted so let me give this a stab. In short I don't know if a scan tool will turn the fan on or not. I do know that most likely depends on the scan tool. The 3rd gen camaros could energize the fans via the diagnostic terminal. I would presume that 91s would also. It's just that some scan tools are only good for reading codes and a few parameters. Others will let you enter factory diagnostic modes and all sorts of stuff. I'd start troubleshooting by getting a schematic and tracing through the fan circiutry.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've traced it out on the schematics and all that is there is a relay whose pick coil is driven by the computer. If the fan didn't turn on with the AC, I'd expect that maybe the relay, fuse or the fan was bad but because the fan turns on with the AC,I'm a bit stumped. I only see one temp sensor and the gauge works so I'm assuming (I know, I know) that it detects the temperature right. Maybe there are two sensors......... hmmmmmmm......

Thanks,

Cam

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam Sweet:
Maybe there are two sensors......... hmmmmmmm......
There should be two sensors. In fact, the computer temp sensor should have two wires connected to it - signal and return. The guage senders are signle wire with return through the block. It amazes me how some of the published schematics leave you guessing at those important details. I believe the CTS for the computer is in the intake manifold near the thermostat housing.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 07:00 PM
Tech Team

this thing TBI, TPI or V6???

the TPI cars have 2 fans... the others have a single fan...

on the single fan cars the fan is turned on via the ECM...

on the TPI cars there is a switch on the pass side of the block for one fan and the other is controlled by the ECM I believe...

68 camaro... your tipical hipo 350... stl crnk... h beam rods full floating pistons mild cam, auto trans (wanting 700r4)... gears 3.73's... smokes tires lots of fun... also 87 IROC 305TPI 5-speed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 03, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by zroc:
...on the TPI cars there is a switch on the pass side of the block for one fan and the other is controlled by the ECM I believe...
Zroc, TPI sounds like a three sensor system. 1 for the ECM, 1 for Fan 1, and the third for the guage. Right?

-dnult

Dave
========================
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,
It's a 6 cylinder TPI. I'll chase the schematics out a bit more.

Cam
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 11:02 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by dnult:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zroc:
...on the TPI cars there is a switch on the pass side of the block for one fan and the other is controlled by the ECM I believe...
Zroc, TPI sounds like a three sensor system. 1 for the ECM, 1 for Fan 1, and the third for the guage. Right?

-dnult
</font>[/QUOTE]yeah... sorta... the one for the guage is just like any other elec guage sender... called a thermistor or sumthin of the like...

the CTS (coolant temp sensor) is seperate and sends a voltage signal to the ECM... its also a thermistor

if this car has A/C it will have a pressure switch to turn the fan on when the a/c is running...

otherwise the fan is controled by the temp reading the ECM gets from the CTS...

all power to the fans of these go though a relay...

eh... food for thought...

68 camaro... your tipical hipo 350... stl crnk... h beam rods full floating pistons mild cam, auto trans (wanting 700r4)... gears 3.73's... smokes tires lots of fun... also 87 IROC 305TPI 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode