a shot in the dark... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm hoping maybe someone has had this happen to them and will be able to point me right to the cause. My 67 RS has been doing something odd lately. When the key is in the ignition and turned to the first position, the dash lights and the tail lights come on. The light switch is in the fully off position. The headlights will come on as normal when the switch is activated and the dash and tail lights remain on. With the car running, there is no change.
---Here's another twist. IF the light switch is on, and I turn the key to the off position, the engine continues to run and the GEN light comes on. If I push the light switch to the off position, the engine turns off while the key is in the off position.
---If the switch is off before I turn the key to shut the motor off, it turns off normally.
This sounds like a circuit is crossed up due to some kind of short or improper grounding. I suspect the switch but would like to know if anyone else has had this situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 05:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
That is strange backfire. I don't have a clue, but, it kinda sounds a little like how the headlight doors work with the key and switch, if you know what I mean. Sounds like something with the headlight switch, or relays, is tied in with the ignition.
Anybody else?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds to me like a grounding problem. Current needs a complete path to flow so it is coming from somewhere when the key is turned off.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

you are grounding out through the headlight circit!!! the head light cirgit is alway's hot...so if you ground out through it from the ignition switch you get some wierd stuff!!! old sparky,as i like to call him, is like watter..go's for the path of least restance..i hate to say this but you have to play spark chaser!!! i would start by tracing the wire's from the igntion switch...you migh have rubed through the insulation and crossed tehm with the headlight wire's...good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I figure we're all thinking the same thing. Today I'll try to trace everything out and will post the solution when I find it.

Thanks
Lance
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Do you want to try something really stupid? Run a temporary wire from the headlight ground at the rear of the lamps to the chassis and see what happens. If you have an open ground, everything will work OK with this temporary wire in place.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 06:45 PM
David Pozzi

There is a DIODE in the headlight circut, it is in the wiring harness near the ignition switch, it's taped up. I think it runs from the ign switch to the headlight switch.

Yours might be shorted and passing voltage both ways.
Just a guess, I really haven't had to work on a headlight circut yet.
I have a diagram for the headlights if you need it. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...i/67rswire.jpg

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 01-13-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode