TIMING NUMBERS FOR 78 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR AND IT RUNS LIKE CRAP.
IT IDLES PERFECT BUT IF YOU GIVE IT ANY GAS IT BREAKS UP. I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK THE TIMING ON IT BUT I DONT HAVE THE SPECS FOR THE GUN. THATS WHY IWAS HOPEING SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME THE NUMBERS FOR THE TIMING. ALSO IT LOOKS LIKE WHO EVER PUT THE 350 IN PUT THE CARBURETOR OFF THE 84 305 BACK ON TOP. WILL THIS CAUSE PROBLEMS. AND NONE OF THE ELECTRONICS ARE PLUGED IN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I see this is your first post - welcome to the site. You may want to take "caps lock" off - it's kinda like shouting.

Your computerized engine is probably running in "limp home" mode because your wires are disconnected. The previous owner may have had a problem and decided the "computerized crap" was causing the problem and disconnected it. There should be a couple decals on the radiator shroud that should show where all the vacuum lines and the wires go.

If you don't want to hassle with the computer quadrajet carb a non-emmission model carb and HEI distributor will work better. Not encouraging you to disconnect your emmissions equipment, but if its not hooked up correctly or not completely removed the car will never run right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

what do you recomend and do you have the numbers for degrees on the timing

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 04:09 PM
David Pozzi

If that's the computer carb setup it's a pain because of all the vaccum hoses etc.
I would guess the timing should be around 4 to 6 degrees before TDC.
There should be a decal with the timing specs on it around the radiator support.
That carb uses computer adjusted pulsed metering rods. If they aren't connected to the computer the carb will run rich at cruse.
This will damage the catalytic converter if not fixed right away.
Get a factory manual on that system if you want to work on it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

The timing for the 305 would be on the radiator support. The timing for the 350 may be different depending on the camshaft, etc. Start with what is spec'd for the 305 and adjust +/- a couple degrees from there to where it runs best. Problems like the one you describe are seldom caused by timing though.

The choice is yours -

1. keep it legal and hook all the computer stuff again.

2. Install a non-computer, emmissions carb (Holley makes a 600 I believe) and a non-computerized distributor (out of an early HEI car say 1975 - 1981). A non-emmissions carb will probably run rich and eventually make your catalytic converter go bad.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 05-07-2001).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Question

thanks for your help guys. I have the option to purchase a holley 750 that i was told would work with the distributer its not a double pumper it has vacume secondaries. should i go with this option. The distributer is a 1978 it is what was on the 350. HEI I BELIEVE.

[This message has been edited by 1984 z28 (edited 05-08-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode