SHAKEY AND LOOSE STERING COLUM - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Need some advise how to fix my stering coulm. I had to change my ignition and when I put it all back together the hole thing is loose i mean Very loose up down and side ways. Ive recheck my self 3 times tearing all back down. To check to see if evrything was put back right and it was.
Thanks for the time.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings kevyg, just got thru changing out my ignition lock yesterday. did you by any chance loosen two nuts under the dash that holds the steering column support bracket and remove four bolts that hold the support bracket to the steering column so you could run a wire down thru the steering column for the ignition lock (assuming your car is equipped with VATS (vehicle anti-theft system). If so just replace the bolts and tighten the nuts down tight and you should be fine. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

trickster, They are all fine thanks!! Rechcheck it today. Still loose.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

greetings again kevyg, couple more questions for you. In the last post I assumed you had changed out the ignition lock and you know what happens when you assume. Anyhoo, now that we have that out of the way. was it the ignition switch or the lock that you changed, and did you lower the steering column from the dash? when you rechecked everything today did you notice if two plastic inserts were in the bracket under the dash? they are called plastic injections and are designed to keep the steering column rigid. I don't know what year your car is but here are some areas to look at for cars ranging from 1982-1992.
1. Loose instrument panel(IP)-to-column upper and lower bracket mounting bolts.
2. Broken weld nuts on jacket.
3. Sheared IP upper bracket capsule(plastic injections).
4. Loose shoes in housing.
5. Loose tilt head pivot pins.
6. Loose shoe lock pin in support.
7. Loose support screws.
8. Loose column upper and lower bracket-to-jacket bolts.
9. Loose lower bracket-to-adapter and bearing assembly mounting screws.
10. Loose IP-to-jacket mounting bolts.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trickster, its a 89 My ignition had the chip in the key. I tore it all down and seen that the wires were broke. This is the 2nd time it broke So I by passed it and was shock that it work. when I tore it all down it felt like the shaft was loose. So I push the bearings back in and it felt fine to i put it all back together. I have a another stering colum and tore it all down and cant find whats wrong in mine. Getting agervated thinking about going to the junk yard to get another one.... Thnaks again for the help so going to keep trying thoe ..

------------------
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

Question

Would you like an illustrated breakdown of your steering column to help in your trouble shooting? If so, I can e-mail you a copy of it. By the way, is your's standard or tilt?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Its tilt, that would be great Thanks
[email protected]

------------------
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 11:57 AM

hey man, i have a 91, but with any GM tilt whell, after time there are 3 bolts reasonably far under all the componets of the steering colum, and as time goe son from tilting the column those 3 bolts tend to loosen... its pretty much a coincidence that it happen just with your ignition problem.... my 91 steering column is loose at this present time... i havent gotten time to tear it all down... btu if you do so tak ethos 3 bolts out, and apply some lock tight to them and retighten them, you should eb all set.... good luck.... JMW
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 01, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Are you sure that it will work. Ive tighten them down pretty tight and its still loose. But havent tried the locktight yet If I have to can you get the bolts back out after you put the lock tight in ....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 01, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

hey kevyg, check your e-mail, i have sent you something that might be helpful. also you didn't specify if the whole column was loose or if just the steering wheel shaft was loose. I ask this because in your third post you mentioned putting a bearing back in that was loose.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok I will check it. I really dont know when its all back together you put your hands on the stering wheel and it shakes back and forth and up and down.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile

Trickster, hey man thanks alot thats alot of info it takes a wile to down load.Im printing it all off and going to read over it. THANKS Kevy g

------------------
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 01:44 AM
Senior Tech

If it's the tilt knuckle thats loose, you'll have to tear it down further than what you did to just change the ign lock cylinder. These bolts behind the knuckle are common for loosening up. Tear it back down to point you did when changing the lock assembly. Then remove the "collar" that the key lock slides into. You may have to go under the dash and disconnect the wiring for the turn signals to get enough slack to slide the assembly over the steering shaft. Let it hang down. Then the tilt knuckle will be exposed. You can get to 3 of the screws without pulling out the pivot pins and removing the knuckle if you use a 1/4" socket and a 1/4" "wobble" extention. This is an extention with a teardrop looking end where the socket goes. The bolts are torx headed but a 6 point 1/4" socket will fit them. If you want to bite the bullet and remove the knuckle then find the correct size bolt and nut that fits the threaded holes in the pivot pins. screw the nut onto the bolt first then screw the bolt into the pivot pin and lock it in with the nut. Take some vise grips and twist while pulling and they should slide out. They make a special tool for this if you can't get em out with the other method. Then you can get em all easily. It's a easy task if you've done one or two before, a little more difficult for a first timer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode