Breathing life into a fresh restore - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 00, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

Well after 2 years and 20+thousand dollars I think im ready to start it up or at least I thought so.As I went to fire it up the first problem was the fuel pump would not get the gas up to the carb and was leaking around the top so I figure the pump is a bad so I found another.As I went to tighten it up it seemed to get to tight to quick so I removed it and pushed the rod back up and guess what the rod was stuck.I gently worked with it until I felt that I was about to make a big mistake and quit.The sad part is I can get the engine to fire up if I dump a little gas down the carb.I wonder what made the rod sieze and why I could not get it to come back down.I also bumped the engine over to try to push it down with the cam but no luck.I have called my mechanic and the car is going to him for all the final finish on the engine and driveline i just dont know what im doing at this point and hate to trash a nice restored L89 engine and car.Wonder why that happened?

Its such a shame I have come so far by myself and now what seems to be a small problem has stopped me cold.I just feel like im over my head on this one.The guy who builted the shortblock will do the finish work.I only have about 45 days until its first show in town.I think I will make it a trailer queen for a year or so and then a weekend driver.See me at Super Chevy in Indy,IN.

[This message has been edited by allcamaro (edited 12-26-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 00, 04:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Bummer! The car is looking real good. If I'm understanding you right, you pushed the rod back up, and now it won't come down at all? And when you bump the motor over the rod still doesn't move? I know sometimes they'll stick a little bit in the up position but your motor is new so I'm wondering if your mechanic put the right lenght of rod in. That's all I can come up with, to short of a rod and it won't pump fuel with a new pump. You lost me when you said You were gently working it until you felt you would make a mistake. What were you doing to it? I'll tell ya though, that car is SWEET Allcamaro. I hope you figure it out.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

Stevo, When I said I was working it I ment that I was trying to grab it with something and get it out or to move either way.I talked to my mechanic again and he told me he was sure that its nothing money cant fix,nice guy huh!and he really is.Thanks for the help anyway.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

This happened to me once, a friend used 3m gorila snot to hold the fuel pump rod in place and when the engine turned over the rod pushed down and wouldn't go back up rendering the fuel pump useless. took out rod cleaned and used grease and fired right up.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 01:40 PM

I put a 350 pump on my new 454, bent the pushrod, now I have a new electric pump.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech

allcamaro
that is one beautiul Camaro. Don't mess it up getting ahead of yourself . I don't know if this applies in your case, but ya never know.
There is a bolt at the front of the engine that is in-line with the fuel pump push rod. Some folks use a slightly longer bolt to "hold" the rod in place while they snug up the pump bolts. Is it possible that the bolt in yours is too long? There has to be a bolt in the hole, else you will leak oil. Possible the builder put one in that is a hair to long & causes interference with the rod. Good luck.

ps- are those torque thrust D's or the new 2 piece look a like?

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
68 Camaro
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

Thanks Rick and everyone.I checked for the bolt because someone else also had that problem and no go.I think I will let a pro fix it.Now the fun part is this and you will love to picture this one.My house is on a very nice hill above the street and a rollback cant get up the curved driveway and around to the rear of the house and the Camaro has no brakes at this point.I guess what we will do is push it to the rear of the house and have a small tow truck take it to the street where it can be loaded on the roll back I think this should all only cost a saw buck or so.Anyway thanks alot all and ill post the next picture roasting the goodyears off.By the way Rick the wheels are new American`s and I think they are D`s.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 05:35 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
See if your mechanic will make a house call. If he will, buy him dinner for saving you the tow! That's one sweet '69 you have there!!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

allcamaro, awsome car! Let's see some more
pics!

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech

Big block chevys don't have the hole for the push rod only small block, and I think they use the same push rod. I would try a new pump and see if it would fire, and not a 9.99 special, I buy my parts from a supplier that also has a repair shop and have never had a problem with aftermarket parts, sometimes these fuel pump,starters, and water pumps that are sold at the "super parts stores" leave a little to be desired.

------------------
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

allcamaro, I don't think the fuel pump pushrod is siezed, it is just being held up there by assembly lube or something like that. The pushrod fits fairly snug in the guide it runs in and excess lube will hold it up. Maybe the rod is moving but is too short to actuate the pump? Where did you get the fuel pump pushrod from? And yes big blocks do have the bolt hole in front that if the bolt is too long will hold the pump rod inplace. I know because that is what I used when I installed the fuel pump on my 396. I would check the length of that fuelpump pushrod......good luck and let us know what you find....awsome car!

------------------

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech

allcamaro, why no headers on that monster motor? Why did you decide to go with the red hockey stick stripe? I like it....looks good!

------------------

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Bob, when I posted the reply about the bolt on big blocks I started thinking about it and went out and checked my 68 vintage 396 and it has two holes by the rod but neither one goes through to the rod shaft, maybe some got them and some didn't, but I am going to have a second look in morning. I bet the problem is the rod is stuck down because of some type of assembly compound used on the rod, as I posted before, once used 3m on the rod and it almost welded the rod in place, when the lobe on the cam pushed it down, the spring on the pump wasn't stromg enough to push it back up and so it had no action for the fuel pump.

------------------
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 06:54 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

allcamaro,
Beautiful car!! I love the red stripe. I would take Dennis's advise and envite your mechanic over for a house call! It would be cheaper than the damage from the tow.

I agree with the other posts on the stuck pushrod theory. I had it happen on a new motor once. I used grease that was more like tar. Good luck!! Cary

------------------
69 Z/28 R/S : Daytona Yellow, Blk Vinyl Top, X33, DZ302, M21, 4.10 Posi, Blk Deluxe interior, 8k tach, console and guages, wood wheel and dash, ZL2 ducted hood, endura bumper.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 05:51 AM

i had a very similar problem when i went to start my fresh 396, would turn over but not start. if i put gas in the carb it would fire right up, turned out it was my brand new holley fuel pump was no good. i put the original fuel pump back on, forced some air into the gas tank to prime the lines and it fired right up. sent the holley pump back to summitt and got a carter, all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode