To much heat???(Over heating) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am working on my toy 26 Roadster..With a stout 355(Keith black piston 10-8-1,64 cc chevy heads, coated headers, lunati cam [email protected] duration and 511 lift and approx 20* advanced timing w/Vacuum advance disconected)..Other than the problem I'm having with the idle(Almost have it)..I am having a over heating problem....after about 15 minutes of idle at 1000rpm I shoot up to 220*-230*F..I am running a custom Radiator with approx 5 cores(guestimate The radiator is 5" thick.).(Custom job the original builder of the car had it made when he ran his blown big block)

I am running a 13" FLEX FAN...No room for anything bigger..And have approx 2"of clearance infront of the radiator and 2" between the water pump and the radiator..Not enough room for an electric unit...

The original owner states he never had a problem keeping his small block cool..but did states that he had rigged some radiators under the car with electrick fans when he ran the 900hp Blown BB...

So here are the question...What can I do to cool things down???..Any ideas why I am running so hot???.Do they make a thinner electric fan???Also anyone ever here of the radiator setup he had under the car?How do they work and where can I purchase???

Thank you again

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
-------------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

You have one problem for sure. The 13" flex fan is a poor performer. I would look for a larger fixed bladed fan. You might lose some hp, but the air movement would be better and the larger the better.

Also check out http://www.derale.com/derale/flexfans.html for the newer generation flex fans. They have stronger stainless steel blades allowing higher pitched blades and more airflow. They also feature "entrapment" attachment methods to prevent the old fly off the hub trick. These will be a big improvement in cooling too.

Next, radiators. Because tubes are staggered in constuction, I would not just assume that the radiator is 5 tubes and even if you have that many rows, the fins per inch will determine the ultimate efficiency of the radiator.

If you are not interested in piece mealing the construction of the cooling system, I would opt for a custom made PRC aluminum, two row, large 1" tubed raditor from www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/157 They will custom make it for you and it will beat the pants off the one you have even at five rows. The improvement in shear conduction area, increase in water flow, will be a quantum leap in cooling capacity, esp coupled with a better fan system. The radiators go for under $300.....good prices these days.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 06-14-2002).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

HOTRODSRJ
I spoke with the original owner..he tells me That it is a 4 core..Custom designed and built by walker radiator 9 yrs ago..just for his 900hp BB..(Fins are so tight you can hardly see light throught it...Wonder if that is the problem)..He tells me he paid over $800 for it...Do you still think I could do better with a newer radiator??

As for the the flex fan..13" is about the biggest I can go...But will look into the newer style fan..But I must say the pictures on the web look similiar to the fan I have..(And the blades are very strong..Difficult to flex)..I just have to be carefull I have a solid 1" clearance between the fan and the radiator now...

Thanks again

------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

That radiator thickness is very likely a problem. When they get that thick they actually can't get the air through them very well. Most all good performance aluminum radiators are 2 row. I know Cobra replicas had the same problems due to size problems. So they kept making the radiators thicker, adding cores. This actually made the problem worse. My last Cobra had a 2 row aluminum radiator and dual electric fans and would not go over 190 in any temp.

By the way, I'd follow Steve's advice. The price he quoted is very good and he definitely knows his cooling systems.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 06-14-2002).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
I'm not running near what you are power-wise, but I had a flex fan with a 4 core radiator in my 327. In 85 + heat she would heat up relatively fast at standstill (220 in about 10 minutes). I have a good shroud and the fan was spaced correctly in/out of it.

A friend convinced me to put a large mechanical straight fan on it before installing an electric fan. I was sure that this wouldn't make a difference. But the blades were longer, fatter and had a greater pitch. Got it for nothing out of a Ford (!) van in a junkyard and cleaned it up.

So far so good! I let it run in the garage for 40 minutes in 70 degree heat with the hood down. Hasn't got above 190 yet, even in 85 degree weather. When cold I notice the HP drain slightly. When warmed up I don't notice it at all.

The fan type, size, pitch can make all the difference in the world.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 02, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
frank

If the thing is nine years old it just may help to have it cleaned at a radiator shop.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 02, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech

I forgot to ask about a shroud. I will guaranty you that if you are running a 13" flex fan without a shroud that there simply is not enough airflow at idle and slow speeds to befit the cooling issue.

I am a rod builder myself, so I have seen many a rod with no shroud and cooling problems. I know exactly the problem that you are having. Here's the 32 that I built.

The Walkser raidator is just a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. Four rows are good, fins per inch sound okay too, but the limited size and small tube construction that you have there with the airflow issue is the combination that is killing you.

If the raidator were less thick, would that give you room for an electric fan. I think so. So, a new aluminum radiator, you can get a high performance electric fan....and off you go. This would improve several of the aspects of cooling efficiency: higher cooling surface area, bigger tubes for more coolant flow, bigger fan for higher CFMs.

Unless you can really work a bigger fan in with a shroud, I think you are going to be stuck with this problem with the high hp producing engine that you have.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode