Horn - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Hello Everyone,
I have a 69z28 that the horn and
backup lights don't work on. The green
wire goes to the horns, and theres a
thin black wire next to it. I was told
that if I ground the black wire the horn
will sound. However the wire has 12v on it
and I am afraid of burning it up. Does this
sound correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech

I thought that Green was ground and black was hot? maybe not. dunno... anyone else?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 06:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Dave, I think there is resistance ground on the horn leads. I just put a sport grip wheel on my '69 and the post that supplies batt to the horn button has ground on it when the positive cable is lifted. Reconnect the positive cable and it has batt on it. I don't recall a black wire. I can check mine tonight. I have never really played with the horn end but at the wheel the ckt is hot and pushing the horn supplies the ground to complete the ckt and toot the horn...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:44 AM
Kevin

Dave, the horns are grounded through the horn housing were it bolts to the hood latch. The first horn (drivers side) has two wires on the plug, one Dark Green positive wire (from horn relay) and the other wire goes to the pass horn. To test horns disconnect wire from horn, leave it bolted to car and jump positive batt lead to horn male connector. Make sure good ground at hood latch. If it doesn't work, horn is dead (they can re-built from a kit by Zip Corvettes). If it works, the problem is either broken connection at steering hub or horn relay. Get a wiring diag and trace wires with ohm meter.

Backup lights are controlled (I assume you have a stock Z/28) via a linkage that goes from the reverse lever on the trans through a bellcrank on the frame to the steering column linkage. The linkage is attached to the steering sleeve (this part moves, it's between ignition lock and dash cluster. The reverse light swith is mounted on the upper part of column right above the brake pedal and is activated by the sleeve rotating. Check to see if all of that is hooked up and when you shift into reverse you should feel the lower part of the steering column rotate. Good Luck, Kevin

Oh Yea, your reverse/steering column lockout also works via the linkage. So if you are able to lock the column and get your key out without putting it in reverse, then the linkages are not hooked up.

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 04-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 04-12-2001).]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Horn update: The relay makes an audible click when shorted, and appears to be working. One horn makes noise when hot wired the other does'nt. There is'nt any continuity to the horn on the wheel so I need to get into that
once the wiring diagram arrives. Where is zip
corvettes? Also the previous owner removed the backup light linkage and now I can't find the wires to install a Hurst backup switch.
Thanks everyone for you help so far.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 08:01 AM
Kevin

Dave, Horns - Looked at my wiring diag this morning. 20 B (black) wire goes from horn contact though steering column connector to firewall box. The 20 B wire continues to horn relay and attaches (on diagram) to left side connector. The 14 DG (dark green) wire from horn is on the same connector. The horn and horn contacts are sent to ground to complete circuit. Have fun ohming them out
Link to Zip corvettes. Look up the horn rebuild tech article.
http://zip-corvette.com/main2.htm

Backup lights - The harness is part of the dash wiring harness, not on the trans. Should be a large purple one and a purple/yellow strip (this from memory, forgot to look at this on the diagram) going to the switch on the column. Did you find the switch? If you don't want to get into the linkages, you can buy the reverse light kits from Hurst/Mr Gasket, I think. Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 04-12-2001).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 04:11 PM
Team Member
John

Does the car (or did it) have headers? If so, that's why the reverse linkage and frame-mounted bellcrank are gone - headers interfere with the linkage rods, so cars with headers usually have all the linkage missing and the lever on the engine compartment side of the steering column wired in the "up" position so you can get the key out - this makes the backup lights come on, so you'll probably find the connector pulled off the backup light switch on the column just rearward of the firewall.

The small (20 ga.) black wire to the horn relay is from the horn contact under the steering wheel hub - when you push the horn button, this wire grounds through the steering shaft and rag joint to the steering gear, closing the circuit to the coil in the horn relay, which then sends 12 volts through the green wire to the horns. If the little thin brass strap in the rag joint is broken, there will be no ground path to the steering gear, and the horns won't work - have seen this many times. Use a jumper wire across the rag joint halves to check for ground continuity.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 04-14-2001).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

John, Kevin, thanks for the info. That explains my backup light problem on my car as well.
This is a great place to hang out!!

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 04-15-2001).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes the car does have headers, I am planning
on rewiring the backup lights with the Hurst
switch. There are 2 pink, and 1 light green
wire just hanging there, They seem to be the
correct color according to the wiring diagram
Also I need to repair both horns as they are
officially dead. I ohm out the wiring,and the
black wire to the steering column is open.
Any Hints on how that thing goes together in
the column? Thanks, for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode