"Sticky" Clutch? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Thumbs down

I just completed swapping a PG for an M20, in my '68. I used a RAM Clutch Assy from Summit which included disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing, and a complete new clutch linkage kit from D&R, and a used, resurfaced 153 tooth flywheel. I torqued the pressure plate bolts evenly to spec. It works great, except.... sometimes, but not always, the clutch doesn't release all the way. It engages fine, and adjusts fine. I've run the adjustment from engagement 2 inches off the floor to all the way up, and it makes no difference, problem happens, sometimes, regardless of the adj. point.

It seems that, with the clutch on the floor, the disc/input shaft is still turning a bit. It flat won't go into gear, unless I kill the motor.

The only thing I can think of is the clutch disc is hanging on a burr on the input shaft, and touching the flywheel enough to turn a little. That would mean pulling the trans again...

Any ideas/suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

This is a long shot but did you get the right throw out bearing? Some are short and some are long and depends on the clutch fork on distance as well. I'm assuming that the clutch parts are all Camaro and not a mixed bag with bell housing and clutch fork.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 07:47 PM
David Pozzi

I've seen this before. The disc just needs to wear the fuzz of it. Drive around and let it slip a little extra when taking off each time. Don't overheat it just accelerate the wear a little. It should get a bunch better after a couple of trips doing that.

The disc has a "marcel" center plate that makes the disc spongy acting. The diaphram type clutch does not release a great amount when depressed.
The new disc has high friction and is a little extra springy due to the new lining. When it wears a little it will be fine.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech

Four things I would look at, but require pulling the tranni, First would be the input shaft, look for wear on the splines where the clutch rides when engauged, the second spot to look is the pilot bearing, if this is tight on the input shaft it could cause the shaft to drag along with the engine,third look at the trans front bearing retainer is the there wear along the release bearing area, and fourth I would think maybe the syncros are worn.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
The longer throwout bearing is 1 5/8" and will not work on the 4 spd, will work with the three speed. The shorter one is 1 1/4 (I think) I had experience with a problem olso check out my project page on my website. http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/restify.html
I have some good information that might be of some use. And then again maybe not. But check it out.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll go with David's for now. Wife would kill me if I spend a weekend pulling the trans anyway. I am sure that I have all the correct parts. Clutch adjusment and engagement is good. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if it goes away, otherwise, out she comes again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode