maf swap to map sensor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 01, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I have an 85 camaro 5.0l tpi z28 stock,
And I am having problems with the maf
sensor.Is their a way to bypass this sensor
or convert it over to a map sensor?
I have a warranty at kragen auto parts
for the maf sensor,It keeps going out every 4 months or so,then I keep swapping them out at kragen, Can low fuel pressure affect the maf?
I have 150 thousand on motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech

You can't by-pass it because the computer needs it to figure out fuel and spark calculations,if you unplug it the computer will enter a 'limp home mode' and the engine will really run like crap.you need to figure out what is going wrong with these sensors every 4 months.Either they are cheap or you have other problems you need to find.Maybe the 'burn off relay'is not working.This relay turns on when you shut the key off after running the engine.It's purpose is to heat the sensor wire cherry red so it can burn off any contaminates that accumulated on the wire.It would take way to much space to try and walk you through all the testing procedures to diagnose this so all i can tell you is to get a service manual and a digital voltmeter and test everything related to this circuit and stop changing parts.Tpi specialties can do prom changes to and make harnesses to switch over from one system to another but I think you should just fix what you have there.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech

Oh yea, and fuel pressure will not affect this sensor at all either low or high.It just measures the density of the air entering the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode