head gaskets - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 01, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

okay, i just got my car running great so i drive it a little bit and it starts leaking oil really bad from the same head that it was leaking before. Now last time i tried retorqueing the head but that didnt help, But i never retorqued these heads and even when it was running(it was running crappy) it wasnt leaking oil until today. What im saying is do you think retorqueing the heads like im supposed to do will stop my oil leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 01, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
chris

before you put it back together did you make shire that the deck and heads where striate
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 01, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Are you sure the oil is not coming from some where else. A few spots that come to mind are the intake manifold where it seals the valley or the tapped oil galley holes, one behind the intake manifold on the drivers side and one in front of the intake manifold on the passengers side. The rear one is most commonlly used for oil sending units and is hard to see but will cause oil to run down the side of the block/head if leaking.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

nah, i never checked to see if they were straight, but i had i had it running for a good half hour before it started to leak. It definitly is leaking from the head, mainly from the back where it wasnt leaking that bad before, there is seppage all around the exhast side of the head where it meets the block.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 03:05 PM
Team Member
John

There's no oil pressure in the heads, only drainage through the drainback holes at each end. The only place it could be coming from is a damaged head gasket around the drainback hole (unlikely), runoff from a leak at the tapped hole for the oil pressure fitting to the left of the distributor, or from the oil gallery plug at the rear of the block on the left side head mating surface, about 1/2" down from the head-to-manifold joint (you can see about half of the plug with the heads on).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, I agree with John. Oil runs in strange paths to reach the ground. A leak in the rear of the block can appear to be coming from the bottom of the head. I've never seen a head gasket leak oil. You'd think if the block and/or head surfaces werent flat it would leak coolant before it leaks oil. I'd clean off the engine REAL good and watch carefully before tearing down the engine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 04:00 PM

Lightbulb

Is this a smallblock ? Nevertheless, agreeing with above posts about origon of leak, one of My old service managers showed Me a trick years back for finding fluid leaks:
Clean entire area with brakleen
Clean again to ensure all residue is gone
Spray suspect area with (don't laugh)aerosol foot spray
start engine then shut off and check
don't let run too long depending on severity of leak
Inspect the footpowder coating
The footpowder dries to a white powder and any leaks will be easily located.
I have used this method many times since then and it works great !!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 01, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks bill, im gonna try that tomorrow. yes its a small block, and i know it cant be leaking from the head you guys are definitly right, i glanced at it this morning (its been rainig off and on)and it lloks like oil might be coming from the valve cover way in the back corner, but im gonna have to claen the whole engine up first to see where its coming from, ill keep you's up to date.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

i have the heater box removed so i took a peek at the back of the head (remember the leak is on the passenger side head) it defintely is not the valve cover gasket or the intake manifold. it definitly looks like the head is leaking i can see it coming out about in the middle of the back side of the head, tell me more about the oil gallery plug, i can see two holes on a raised surface on the back of the block, is that them? beacuse they arent leaking. oh btw no coolant is leaking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 02:31 PM
Team Member
John

If oil is coming out of the middle of the back of the head (above the gasket surface), you either have a cracked head, or, if they're '69 or later heads with drilled/tapped accessory holes, you may have an internal crack in the head from the oil drainback hole into one of the unused accessory holes. If you're absolutely sure it isn't a valve cover gasket leak, it's teardown time.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode