Oil Leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I have a new 350 engine in my Camaro with less than 3000 miles on it. I was driving last week and smoke started pouring out of the back of it. I pulled over and oil was leaking from the back of the engine(passenger side) onto the passenger side header. Any ideas where this might be coming from? Doesnt look like a valve cover gasket. Hoping it's not a rear main seal. It only starts leaking when it gets good and hot. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow, but I was hoping someone might have been in the same boat at one time or another. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 10:52 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
could be anything from a bad gasket to a seal to a oil plug left out....good luck.

------------------
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto]

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech

Oil pressure sender behind intake. Hope so. Worse would be the intake seal on the rear. Even worse would be the rear main. Hope it's not serious. tom

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in my 67 with headers. The car would start smoking at stoplights once it warmed up. I didn't think it was the valve cover on the passenger side either. I thought it was the rear main. Well, I was prepared to yank the engine again during my spring break a week ago, but on VERY CLOSE inspection, I discovered it was the passenger valve cover gasket in the extreme back corner. Here, it was running out of the back of the valve cover, down a VERY narrow path on the BACK of the head, down one of the TH-350 forward mounting tabs, and dripping on the top of the header collector. Replaced the valve cover gasket, and no more smoke. Let me know what you find. I replaced my rear main about a year ago, so if you need any advice don't hesitate to ask...my email is [email protected] good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 05:55 AM

This may sound a bit bizarre, but I had a similar problem on my '79. Oil was leaking from front of oil pan and wind was pushing it on exhaust (it also found it's way to fuel lines on passenger side and to edge of heads- I though it was valve cover for sure, but after replacing cover and gasket twice, I eliminated this suspicion. I took out front pan bolts (under timing cover)- cleaned them and put silicone on them and reinstalled, leak's been gone for a couple years now.

My point is- check pan, if bolts weren't put in with a sealer or loctite they will work their way out over time and squirt oil in all sorts of strange ways.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I agree with Eric.....my '69 was doing the same thing...turned out to be the pan gasket was leaking.....

Steve
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Got it back from shop and he said the valve cover gasket was leaking. He cleaned and tightened, but did not change the gasket. Said I needed to do that. What brand of gasket should I buy? Everyone says FelPro.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Fel-Pro part# vs12869 5/32" thick. If you have any warpage on the valve cover go with a vs12869ac, its 7/32" and will help with any warpage. Do not go with the vs12869r, its a neoprene/rubber gasket. I have not had good luck with them. They tend to slip out of place without keepers. I also recomend using permatex ultra black sealent. It is so much better than the blue stuff. Also just apply it to the valve cover after cleaning the edge with a solvent to remove any oil residue. I also go over the area with something like paint thinner or rubbing alcohol. Really gets anything left from the solvent and dries quick. I spread the ultra black on one side of the gasket with a putty knife. A thin coat is all you really need. Let sit for 5 minutes, then adhere to the valve cover only. When tightening the bolts for the cover a good rule is to snug them up and give them a half turn. If you have the quick bolts hand tight is all you need. I am not talking George Foreman tight either. Over tightening is the worst and most common thing that is done wrong with valve cover gaskets. I have never had a leak after this process.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode