Master Cylinder Question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How can I tell if my master cylinder is going out. Or if my rear brake cylinder is out? I am having trouble with my brakes on my 76 camaro. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont its wierd. Also is it possible for the lines to get clogged up if the fluid has been sitting for a while. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Peter, over time brake fluid can absorb moisture and lose it's effectiveness. You may also get some corrosion inthe system because of this ... A bad master cyl often allows the brake pedal to bottom out ... A leaking wheel cyl will be evident when you pull the wheel and inspect it ... At the very least, clean and adjust your brakes and bleed ( flush ) them to get fresh fluid in the system ... Also, check your brake booster ... If it's bad, you won't get any assist and it will seem like you have to press the brakes harder to get them to work ... Just some ideas ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the help. I think I may also have a leaky rear brake cylinder but dont know exactly what to look for. I was told that there would be brake fluid present, but I didnt see any.I did have a loss of my brakes though and not even my e brake worked, I guess from what it sounds like the master cylinder is going. I did drive home though after the losing brakes incident. Im just not sure how they began to work again. And then not. Its weird.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Clean and adjust your brakes. Also, make sure that the mast cyl is full ... BTW, the mast cyl will not affect the e-brake on your car ... That is adjusted by a cable running underneath the car asssuming that the rear drums are properly adjusted ... My advise is Don't let this drag on ... No system is more important from a safety perspective than your brakes ... Clean, adjust, flush, then go from there ...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 03:44 AM

The most common problem with intermitent brakes is the hoses. people don't realize that they break-down from the inside out from the fluid. The rubber breaks down and a little piece of rubber is hanging off and dangling in the fluid stream which causes them to work only sometimes. I would visually check the hoses and try to remember how old they are. If you are planning on keeping the car get the stainless braided hoses with teflon instead of rubber. It's also a good idea to bleed the brakes to see how much gunk is in the calipers.

[This message has been edited by BMADD68 (edited 10-02-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am going to bleed my brakes this weekend and do a further inspection on the rear wheel cylinders. I will also drain or bleed the system to see what is exactly in the brake lines also. And move from there. New brake pads are also on the agenda. The ones I have are very old. I actually didnt realize the e brake didnt work until I tried it. I looked at the rear brake pads and they are glazed and cracked. They must be very old, I didnt know that they break down over time. There is still padding on the brakes, but they are cracked and look dusty. They are definitely going to be replaced this weekend, as well as a complete flush on the brake lines. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode