holley carb is burping fire when punching the gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 02, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I hope u guys can help me,me problem is when i punch the gas my holley carb burps fire, the engine is newly rebuilt and i have not had a chance to take it on the road yet,
so its not broken in all the way yet,any way
here what i have in it, if this helps some,the carb i a holley 0-3310(4150) 750 CFM
also when the engine is running it has a vary rich exhaust and a little black smoke is coming from inside the valve covers, my cam shaft is the Magnum kit from Comp Cams
it has a 470" lift and a 224 degree duration,
my comresshion is 9.35:1,my intake manifold is the edelbrock peformer RPM air-gap, my cyinder herd are GM HP with 2.20/1.60 valves,i have headers and a 2'1/2 inch flow master american thumder system. i checked my vacum and it reads to 12, but it does not hold study at 12. could it be from a bad cam ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

If you get fire back thru the carb, an intake valve has to be open when the cylinder fires ... Take another look at your timing ... address the fire issue first ... then in terms of being rich, use a vacuum gage to adjust the carb ... was the carb rebuilt also ... are you using a PCV ? If carb was rebuilt, check float level and power valve you are using ... You may need to jet down ... You'll probably need to pull and clean your plugs if car was running super rich ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech

Depending on the Age of this Holley it may not have Power Valve protection. It usually only takes 1 good Backfire thru the carb to Blister it, as Posted previous Check Timing make sure its correct, Check Float lvls. I would also pull it down and Not take a chance on the Power Valve and Replace it also. But thats just me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 03:47 PM
SSuperman

I had the same problem with my reman motor and Holley carb.(10 foot flames) I reset the timing and it cured the problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

i bought my holly new in the summer of 2000.
my timing is set a 8 degrees,is that right?
i went by the GM factory specs.
thank guys for your help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 02, 05:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 72'camaroguy:
i bought my holly new in the summer of 2000.
my timing is set a 8 degrees,is that right?
i went by the GM factory specs.
thank guys for your help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds a little on the low side to me. I would take it up a couple of degrees and see how it responds and then check to see where your vacuum is at then it might be a little higher.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

72, one other thing comes to mind ... Make sure you have spark plugs wires on the cap correct. If the wire is in the wrong position, you can get a backfire thru carb ...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 02, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech

Aren't the magnum cams solid lifter type. Could the adjustment be off on the valve lash holding a valve open??
Just trying to help here.
Still look at the timing first though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode