New Low Fuel Indicator - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
I installed my new low fuel indicator today and took some of the gas out of the tank where the fuel gauge would go down far enough for the indicator to turn the fuel light on in the dash. At first it wouldn't come on, then I noticed a ground wire that was screwed down to the metal plate next to the shifter. I loosened the screw and turned the wire back and forth then the light came on, until I tightened the screw back down then the light went out. Another thing that I noticed was when the fuel light was on, and I turned the dash lights on the fuel light would go out. It sounds like a ground problem, but I'm not sure where it is. I think this ground wire went to the center post of the gas gauge. Should I run the black wire from the indicator somewhere by itself or what? I have the green wire going to the tan wire, the red wire going to the pink wire and the black wire is on the center post with the other black wire that went to the screw next to the shifter. The gas gauge is working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions/idea of what's wrong. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by 69DZ302 (edited 04-26-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 02, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

I didn't get any replies to my post, so I just kept working with the ground wires and finally got the low fuel indicator to work. I put the ground wire from the indicator on the post first, so I guess it didn't get a good enough ground, so I put a nut on first, then the ground wire, then another nut, and everything seemed to work fine. The fuel light in the dash comes on at about the 1/8 mark on the gas gauge.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech

my car is a 67 rs with the console gauges mine stopped working about a year after I owned the car I have not got in to it yet , I wonder if my 67 could have the same problem as your 69 ?? I will get in on mine soon , when I first got the car it would light up (FUEL) in the dash when it got to a little under a 1/4 , then it just stopped one day ???? don't know what happened to it , yet

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

mebe_epp, I would figure that if your's was working fine up to a point then just stopped working all of a sudden, I would think that most likely the indicator finally played out. If you haven't been doing anything to any wires lately to accidently unhook or cut something then most likely it's your indicator. When you get ready to work on yours and there's anything I can help you with in any way feel free to let me know.
Donnie.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech

mebe_epp, I don't want to sound like a know it all, because I'm not, but could it be just a bad bulb? Something else, I was having problems w/ some of my dash lights, turned out the circuit board had torn. If you havn't messed with the dash since it went out, I doubt that's the problem though.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

I was wrong about the 1/8 mark on my gas gauge when the low fuel light comes on. I drove it some today and the first time the light starting blinking to indicate it was getting ready to come on it was already a mark below the 1/8 mark. I didn't keep driving it till the light came on solid, but I figured it wouldn't be till it got down to either the empty mark or one mark above it. If mine stays like this and there's no adjustment that can be made, and I relied on the light to get gas well there better be a gas station very near. I don't know maybe the gas needle is bent a little. I won't try it but maybe I still have gas in the tank when it gets a hair under the empty mark. Bob's correct I never thought about your problem possibly being a burned out bulb but most people check that first, so I just assumed you had already checked the bulb.
Donnie
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 04:46 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
In my '69 it starts flashing when accelerating or around corners somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 on the gauge. It's below 1/8 before it stays on solid though. For what it's worth if I fill up at 1/4 it only takes 9-10 gals and 1/8 to E maybe 12-14 so I still have 4-6 gals left when it's on...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech

69DZ302, I remember reading in my Classic Ind. catalog that the low fuel indicator comes on when there is 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. At least that's what they say. Anyway, even if the originals are close to coming on at 2 gallons, hopefully there's a station near by when you (and I) see that light. Thought you would be interested in that.

Bob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

68BB427, Yep, I believe I read the same thing you did. I drove mine today and got a little brave and let it get down till the light was actually on solid and the needle was flat on "E". I didn't, but I should have filled up with gas when it was on "E" and seen how many gallons it would have taken. I'm wondering now if I had one or two gallons left on "E" or just flumes. I guess right or wrong at least it's working now, and I should feel lucky that it doesn't run out of gas before the "E". Donnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode