pertronix ignition problem or carb? 250 straight 6 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 02, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I have a 68 camaro with the 250 engine &
1 bbl carb. Lately, the car has been very hard to start when cold & I had to tap the carb & even use starter fluid!! It's not even that cold out. Sometimes it runs ok, sometimes not - & stalls out & misses on the hiway. I have replaced plug wires , plugs(ac delco),rotor,cap,pcv,fuel pump,coil(Wells) to no avail. Fuel filter was very clean - replaced it too. Guess I can rule out dirty fuel. Luckily the parts for the 6 were dirt cheap.Has anyone had such problems with pertronix igntion system or carb? Dont know how to test the pertronix. My system is 12 years old. Or should I suspect the carb before I suspect the pertronix?
Perhaps I should put the points & condenser back in(not that difficult) - I suppose that would prove if it's an ignition problem. The carb is a rebuild from Strauss Discount auto from about 5 years ago & there is no hesitation. It was only $35 !!!!! (they had 1/2 off sale) & it was in stock on the shelf!! Geez.
Any ideas? Not much left to go bad with this simple engine!
Oops I forgot the ORIGINAL FROM 1968 engine harness, though it don't look bad. I did replace the other (light) harness under the hood (after it went up in smoke by itself!!! lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I would substitute the Pteronix back to points & condenser, certainly would eliminate the ignition.

Was this problem gradual or overnight?

If carburetor does what its suppose to do when cold, i.e., step on gas pedal, choke plate closes and a shot of fuel gets squirted, and there is no vacuum leaks (cracked hoses, broken vac modulator diaphargm if auto, all intake gaskets in good shape as well as carb -to-manifold, etc.,) it should start with relative ease, once again, providing piston ring seal is in good shape in order to create good starting vacuum.

However, with electronics, it either works or it doesn't, not this middle of the road stuff.

Could be fuel pump not working to its fullest capacity.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech

hey john,

I would put the points back in to just rule out the issue of the ignition, if all is well consider a newer hei style distributer. there easy and trouble free, more so than the points conversions... as far as carbutation, i had hesitation 1 time , my choke was sticking, the carb looked clean, worked generally well, but sometimes just ran like crap!. so I bought a new one and it works great now (I too had points and went with HEI in the long run)

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech

John, I would suspect the carb NOT the pertronix ign system. But dont guess. Take a tach/dwell meter (buy a cheap one if you have to, its money well spent) and hook it up to the negative side of the coil and drive around. When your car starts acting up the meter will go down normally. If it jumps up and down erratically then Look at the ignition. otherwise I would blame the fuel system.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode