What's the trick-wiper arm removal? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Question

Ok first off I have been able to fix and replace almost every part on my Camaro. It is a bit embarrassing but how do I get the wiper arms off the car?

My car has new paint on it and I am trying not to scratch the car. My passenger side wiper sits on the lower chrome of the windshield and I want to pull the wiper realign it then lock it down in the correct position so it is off my chrome.

I have a cowl induction hood and have little room to do anything with the wiper because of it's current position. If I lift the blade off the car it will hit my cowl.

I even have the wiper removal tool from Rick's but can't figure how to attack the clip on the wiper arm.
Any help? Being specific would help? I know I am missing the trick here and down want to force it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 04:40 AM

Lots of towels for padding on any painted surface...and some careful pulling.

Thats how I did it.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

First off they do make a tool for this, but I've always used a screwdriver. Where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper transmission, pull the arm back, and look at where the arm meets the transmission and you will be able to see a little tab sticking down. With the screwdriver, push the tab in and at the same time, try to pry the arm up. Try working the arm back and forth, working it off a little at a time. Take you time and be careful not to scratch the paint. This can be a pain in the neck. For added insurance, put down some towels, or a blanket.
Good luck,
Bruce

[This message has been edited by bruce69camaro (edited 01-29-2002).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am being too paranoid about scratching the paint and I may not be using enough force. I have the wiper removal tool but it does not hook into the tab very well.
Maybe I will try a screw driver and lots of rags taped down to everything.
It may also help me if I remove the passenger side wiper with the hood open. The cowl hood opening is just so close to the wiper arm where it attaches to the transmission.

I may be trying to use the tool incorrectly.

I know the tool should hit the tab.
Should the tool be used on the tab side (wiper arm side), perpendicular to the wiper arm?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

I also have that tool and couldn't get it to work at all. I recommend a lot of towels and careful prying.
I'm also still trying to figure out why the driver's side wiper strikes the windshield top chrome on my 67 convertible. I've purchased the correct arms and measured them vs. others. Are the transmissions adjustable at all?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coach420:
I also have that tool and couldn't get it to work at all. I recommend a lot of towels and careful prying.
I'm also still trying to figure out why the driver's side wiper strikes the windshield top chrome on my 67 convertible. I've purchased the correct arms and measured them vs. others. Are the transmissions adjustable at all?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coach420,
I have realigned wiper arms before on other cars (not on first gen Camaro's). Usually someone who put the wiper arm on did not align it up correctly.
You should be able to pull off the arm move it up an inch or so into the correct location then install it.

Some one correct me if I am wrong?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 12:11 PM
Team Member
John

The tab on the tool doesn't have to engage the little spring tab inside the end of the wiper arm - it just grabs the lower edge of the casting, then you push down on the end of the handle and pull the arm off the spindle (put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the tool handle where it's bent and sits on the top of the casting so it doesn't scratch it). It helps to wrap your fingers around the skinny part of the wiper arm and hold it up against the bottom side of the tool handle, then just pull the end of the arm straight off the spindle.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech

It has been a while since I took them off, but if you put your head directly above the drivers side wiper and look straight down underneath the arm on the right side (about 9 o'clock position) you will see a small clip that is reverse L-shaped. That clip must be held out (message above said push it in - like I said its been a while, but I thought you had to hold it out to clear the top of the post?) with a small screwdriver while you pry it up. If you are doing it correct, it won't take a whole lot of prying - more of rocking back and forth. If you are prying like mad and its not budging then there is something wrong. I remember it being real fustrating and prying the heck out of it until I saw one that was off and how it worked. Once you get it off and see how it works you will be amazed how simple it is.

[This message has been edited by TheGreen68 (edited 01-29-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode