new engine in car, yet somthings wrong... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i recently installed a new 305 in my 91 firebird, it utilizes ThrottleBody injection, Everything seems to work fine.. however when I put my car in Drive, the car increases RPM by 5-600 (like someone hitting the gas) about 30 seconds in drive the SES light will come on.. if I put the car in Neutral , 30 seconds later, the SES light goes out. and all seems normal again .. temprature is fine. oil pressure is great. all the sensors are hooked up EXCEPT for one I found on the lower passenger side of the block, a friend told me it was a knock sensor??? the weatherpack connecter broke, so I left it unhooked.. I dont see what this would have to do with idle, but never know... I have re checked the entire connections for leaks (vacuume or otherwise) and found nothing... What the heck is wrong, or should I look for... everythings plugged in and works fine. except when I put it in gear...I can only drive it short distances, as it pisses me off too much untill I get it resolved.. Any serious Ideas as the engine is Brand New????

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Just an off the wall guess......
Check Your vacuum line routing, hopefully the underhood sticker is still there to verify..If I remember right the EGR valve solenoid is energized when the car is put into gear.....and think the purge solenoid is also activated when it's in gear......
If something isn't hooked up right one of those solenoids could be inducing a vacuum leak....
Hopefully someone else will post some more ideas, cause' that's a strange one.....Good Luck...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech

you should hook up the knock sensor, even if it isn't the problem. either hit the local boneyard and get one from another car, or go to a dealer and get one. those engines base the timing off that, and could rattle to death if it isn't hooked up and you get a batch of bad gas.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I'd do like Novaderrick suggested, hook up the knock sensor.

I believe it to be a mini coaxial cable and if it isn't replaced in one piece like original, the signal will be affected by outside noise and create havoc.

The knock sensor is a miniature microphone, listens for sound (knocking), then outputs a signal to the ECU for it to retard timing.

I believe this isn't your problem though, but as 184...... suggested, check vacuum hose routing.

Everett
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech

Since it turns on the SES light, I would check the code(s) and see what's up.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

18436572, you were right,

the vacuume canister was the cause, actually not the canister itself, but the line from the back of the intake to to the cruise control and vacuume canister near the purge valve, I started pinching lines with a vise grip and checking, the last one to test was the cruise control/rear intake vacuume port on back of TBI unit, sure enough it works fine now, theres a little check valve kinda thing and its bad, so its just blocked off for now, and runs fine. but I have a oil leak on the stupid chrome timing chanin cover to fix now,

thanks!!!

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode