Won't Start after fuel line problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 04, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I was driving yesterday and my engine starting missing really bad. So, I stopped on the side of the road and checked my plug wires and all was okay. I walk to the back of the car and there is a huge puddle of gas. I was fairly close to home so I bumped up the idle screw and headed home. Got home and found that the short piece of rubber connecting the gas tank hard line to the fuel line running to the rear of the car had split. I replaced it and now my car will not start. I can get fuel to the carb but it just cranks and cranks. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 04, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech

Here are couple things to try. Depending on what carb you have, fill the float bowls through the bowl vent tube. I used a tiny funnel, but a stringe works well too. While I was at it, I pulled the fuel line off of the carb and poured fuel down the fuel line. The theory is that it wets the paper element filter that I have between the pump and carb, as well as fill the pump diapham with fuel. It fired right up and kept running.

As for the split hose, was it fuel line? If it was rubber vacuum hose, it may not be up to handling gasoline. Are you running ethanol in your fuel? That can attack some types of rubber also.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 04, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
You may have flooded the cylinders and soaked the plugs when you increased the idle mixture. With wet plugs your going to just crank and crank putting more and more gas in the cylinder. Wet plugs will cause the spark to go directly to ground without jumping like they're supposed to.

Pull some plugs and check em out. if they are wet. wipe em clean and dry, blow em out. then reinstall. if that was the problem she should fire back up in a couple of cranks with a plume of white smoke.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 04, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Every plug was fouled beyond belief. I'm running again now. What did we ever do before the internet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 04, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Kewl. Glad things worked out. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Hmm lets see without internet..My girlfriend would be getting more attention, but my car wouldnt. Hard choice. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode