Won't Idle - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
I took my factory 780 carb off after I bought my car to get it rebuilt because it wasn't running properly, so I bought a 750 and put it on the car for the time being. The 750 has been performing great until just resently. I can drive my car say 10 miles to our local Steak 'n Shake and it idle's at 900 each and every time I stop. When I leave to come home say an hour and a half later the car does alright for the first mile or so then the idling starts to get a little lower than 900. Before I can get half way home each time I stop I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal a little because it won't idle. The car always starts, idles, and runs great all other times with no problems. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening and what the fix could be? Thanks, Donnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 01:43 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I was struggling with that for a while with my new 302. I would be fine at startup and even when the choke was fully off it was fine but after a long drive the idle would slowly drop and not be able to recover on its own.

I am running a 650 DP with an electric choke. I was pretty sure I was having a fuel percolation issue so I completely blocked off one side of my heat riser passage with a stainless steel shim and put the stainless steel restrictor insert into the choke coil side in case I ever went back to a factory 780 carb setup. This would reduce the exhaust heat under the carb to deal with the percolation but warmups theoreticaly would take longer. Also, if you have headers or cast iron manifolds without a heat riser on the passenger side, this modification will work fine. If you have manifolds with a functional heat riser, this mod is not recomended. You could just wire the flap open and it would be fine. Your exhaust system would last longer on the passenger side that way. I also recurved the distributor as I have posted in the other section of this forum to help with the heat issue at idle. I took it out for a long drive and re-adjusted the mixture screws for the best idle at 950-1000 RPM and all has been well since then. That was earlier this week and it seems to be the solution for me. Several long drives with no problems and I might even be able to lower the idle a tad now.

It worked for me.

-Mark.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Thanks Mark for the good advise. I'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to adjustments on my 302, but believe me as long as I own one of these car's I'm learning something new all the time. This is good, because I need to learn how to do more of these kind of repairs myself without having to depend on other's to have to fix it for me. I'll be sure to check out what you mentioned. I just couldn't understand why it has been running fine for several months now and all of a sudden it just won't idle at times. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks again, Donnie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode