won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Zach

went out to the car the other day and no start. only change i made since was putting made for you spark plug wire separators on the car, didn't touch anything else. i finally did get the car to start after just turning the key tons of times and it finally turned over. when i try to start it, gen and temp idiot lights act normally. there's nothing though, no starter clicking and no turning over. i know the starter is good since it finally turned over the other night. alternator, battery, and electrical system is all good. tried making sure it was in park too, i've had problems in the past with that. i usually put it in park and let it roll back a little until it clicks. any way it may still think its not in park?? any other ideas??

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scott Vinzant
My '69 does that as well. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] I wonder if the contacts in the ignition switch are getting burned and arced. One of the previous owners of my car wired a start "button" in with the ignition switch. When the key won't start the car, you push the button it it starts everytime. The key has to be held in the "start" position while the button is being pressed. I will replace the ignition switch someday and get rid of the button. Hope this helps.
Scott

<a href="http://amy.vinzant.home.mchsi.com/69camaro.html" target="_blank">'69 Camaro</a>
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Zach

i replaced my ignition switch about 5 years ago, so i'm hoping that's not the problem. it could be though. i messed with it a little more tonight and i think it could also be the battery. i've driven the car maybe twice in the past 3 weeks and forgot to disconnect the battery in between. i've gone through a few batteries this way. but if i wait maybe 15 mins after i try to start it and give it another try, it turns over just a little. right after that it doesn't do a thing. i'm thinking the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn it over at all. just seems weird that everything else is bright and working. anybody else have this experience? i'll try to jump it next.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a high tech ignition check over at your manufacturere or instructions. I think the solid wire doesn't hold the juice for even with complete contact. Possibly the not holding all the juice loads the ignition side up heavy with volts so it throws the sensors off and bad ignition is the end result. Just a thought. You almost gotta call NASA some times.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Zach

it's the battery. i trickle charged it overnight and today. engine spun over quicker than the day i bought the battery right after that. i'm going to try to leave it on trickle charge as much as possible from now on. but i would like to buy a better battery as soon as this one goes out on me. i just got the new summit catalog and they're having one heck of a sale on the red top optima battery, $84. anybody vouch for the optimas? are they really worth the money?? i have an oreilly super start battery in the car right now, don't know who manufactures that one. its my second one though, they don't last very long in the camaro. thanks guys.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 05:22 PM
Tech Team

I had done some work on my 69 a few months ago & after that it would start ok cold but not at all hot. Found I had left the ground cable off & was trying to start of a #10 wire to ground. Moral of the story: Check all connections for clean & tight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode