Strong exhaust smell - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 99, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I have been experiencing a strong cloud of white smoke and a strong odor of gas during start up. This just started recently and the motor has only 600 miles on a rebuilt 396. The other day, I took it for a drive and noticed gas on both sides of the intake manifold. I tightened up the bolts on the carb and the leak is no more. Can anyone gives me ideas or solutions as to why the strong odor of gas and extensive white smoke. I am also having a small amount of black water laving my dual exhaust. What else right...? Thanks in advance. Do I need to lean the carb. It runs perfect.
Dino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 99, 09:33 AM
Jay

It could be that your float bowls on your carb are overflowing and spilling onto your manifold. Check the float height and see if it is correct. As for the white smoke it might be a head gasket leak especially if the heads were not properly torqued down. Check your radiator for any bubbles while the engine is running. This could also account for the excess water vapor in your exhaust. Also check your plugs to get an idea of how the mixture is. If it was too rich you'd be seeing some black smoke. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 99, 03:10 AM
Tech Team

Funny you were talking about that gas leaking on your intake manifold. I have an 86 IROC with an LG4 that leaks gas onto the intake manifold as well. .

I'm not sure whether I should torque the bolts on the carb base or whether doing so would bend the manifold and make the problem worse. Either way, I'm losing mileage and getting an annoying gas smell and I think this is why. No exhaust problems I'm aware of, just bad smell.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 99, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I found the problem in the gas leak. I had tightened the cable down to the chock which did not let the butterflies open and close properly when I was running the car, as well as when I shut it down. Dino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode