454 no oil pressure NEW TWIST - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REPLYS FROM MY ORIGINAL QUESTION .I HAVE A NEW TWIST,,,OK MY TEMPERATURE GAUGE WAS INCORRECT AND BECAUSE OF A HOLE IN MY RADIATOR THE TEMPERATURE WAS GOING OVER 215.ADD THAT TO THE FACT THAT I DID NOT HOOK THE STOCK OIL COOLER WHEN I INSTALLED THE MOTOR.IS THERE SOME TYPE OF REGULATOR IN THE OIL COOLER PLATE MABY?WITH THE TEMPERATURE AT APPROX 180 THE MOTOR MAINTAINS 10 TO 15 LBS OF OIL PRESSURE.BUT AT START UP I HAD 40.
COULD IT BE THAT SIMPLE ?WHAT IS THE OPERATING TEMP OF A 454 ? IS THE OIL COOLER MANDITORY TO KEEP THE TEMP LOW.I THOUGHT IT WAS A MOTORHOME THING SO I NEVER HOOKED IT UP? WHAT SHOULD OIL PRESSURE BE AT IDLE ?
THANK YOU AGAIN EDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 02:29 AM
Senior Tech

Where is your oil pressure guage hooked up if I remember it was in the front on the drivers side I don't know what is up there that would work as a pressure tap. I have never delt with the oil cooler adapter you have so I can't help there. Did you ever look a the main bearings?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

the fitting is on the front lt side,the filter that is on there is from a small block chevy.i used the filter plate so i could elminate the oilcooler.now that might not seem like a probum but now the oil filter was sitting in the block about 2 inches(wraped by the exhust),instead of outside of the block 4 inches as it would be with the stcok cooler/filter plate.i managed to totaly mangel my oil filter trying to get it off , once its removed i will reinstall the stock cooler having to rerout the exhust to clear it.i soldered my radiator today that should help.(it was only 1/2 full)im going on the assumption that the combination of the low radiator water,wrong oil filter and no oil cooler was the root of my problum.if im wrong im not out any thing.and i hae a oil cooler installed.
any idea on what the temp psi ect should be?
thanx edd

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:49 PM
Bill

Eddy,
I did not see your origonal post, but if your motor had an oil cooler and you did not reinstall it, I am pretty certain that there is might be an extra oil filter bypass valve that needs to be removed. I would have to look at your block to be certain. I also do not know the condition of your motor, but as long as you have 10lbs of pressure for every 1000 rpm, dont worry too much about the pressure at idle. In other words if you have 40 lbs going down the road at 2500 rpm, you have more than enough.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

BILL MY ORIGINAL POST WILL PULL UP UNDER THE 5 DAY POSTED ITEMS.THE BY PASS I BELIVE IS BUILT IN TO THE ADAPTER PLATE,.THERE IS A CARBON FIBER LOOKING DIME SHAPED VALVE IN IT.SO 10 LBS FOR EVERY 1000 RPM.OK AT 2000 RPM IT HAS 20 PSI.IT TAKES A SECOND TO CLIMB THERE THOUGH.
THANK YOU EDD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech

You have still got me on the oil pressure line are you hooked up above the oil filter? or did you tap into the front of the main galley. Does it still knock is it a 4bolt block with 2 holes above the filter pad?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

is your caps lock key broke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode