FRONT LEFT WHEEL OUT OF PLACE - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

HI I THANK GOD I FINALY FOUND SOME HELP ON THE INTENET. I HAVE A 69 327 CAMARO I HAVE UPRATED TO +\- 350 HP AND ADAPTED AN OPEL (GETRAG) 5 SPEED, USING AN ADAPTOR PATE SOME FRIENDS AND I MACHINED UP,AND SIMPLY REVERSING A TH 400 CROSS MEMBERS GEAR BOX MOUNT BRACKET. I HAVE ALSO MANAGED TO ADAPT HOLDEN (AUSTRALIAN GM) ROTORS AND CALIPERS TO THE ORIGINAL DRUM SPINDLES.HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY FRONT RIGHT(PASSANGER) WHEEL SITS +/- 20 mm TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE CAR ,WHEN COMPAIRED TO THE LEFT WHEEL .I HAVE MESURED THIS ,BY RUNNING A TAPE FROM THE EDGE OF MY FRONT RIM TO THE EDGE OF MY BACK RIM , TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF BADLY ADJUSTED PANELS AND OR FRONT FENDERS AS THESE WERE REMOVED FOR THE LAST PAINT JOB, WICH WAS THE 1st TIME I EVER NOTICED THIS ,AND I AM ALMOST SURE THIS WAS NOT THE CASE BEFORE IT WHENT INTO THE PAINTERS,(BUT THE WAY I DRIVE WHO KNOWS).I HAVE REMOVED THE SPRING BY USING THE GM SUGESTED METHOD OF DROPPING THE INNER SIDE OF THE LOWER A ARM , USING A TOOL I COPIED FROM MY CAMARO MANUAL PICTURES,AND HAVE NOT FOUND DISINTIGRATED BUSHES(BUT I WILL BE TURNING SOME NEW ONES FROM POLYURATHANE ),HOWEVER I DID FIND MY BACK HOLE (IN THE SUBFRAME)TO BE SLIGHTLY SLOTED,(AND WILL HAVE A CAPABLE FRIEND CO2 WELD A REINFORCING WASHER IN PLACE),HOWEVER I HAVE MANUALY PUSHED THE WHEEL FORWARD AND BACK IN THIS SLOT AND FOUND IT TO ACCOUNT FOR A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF THE SAID 20 mm OFFSET.
I HAVE ALSO MESURED FROM THE BACK OF MY SUBFRAME TO MY BACK AXLE MOUNTING POINTS AND BOTH SIDES ARE EQUAL SUJESTING MY SUBFRAME HAS NOT SHIFTED. I HAVE HOWEVER MESURED FROM THE TOP OF MY SPINDLE TO THE CENTER OF THE BACK BOLT OF THE FRONT BUMPER SUPPORT BRACKET AND FOUND A 10mm DIFFRANCE. I HAVE HAD THE CAR FOR WHEEL ALIGHNMENT 3/4 TIMES AND THESE GUYS DONT HAVE A CLUE, WHAT SETTINGS TO ADJUST TO NEVERMIND GET THE WHEEL TO SIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ARCH . SO PLEASE TEL ME WHAT TO MEASURE NEXT SO I CAN AT LEAST KNOW WHERE THE PROBLEMS ARE ,IN ORDER TO FIX THEM,BEFORE I GO ON TO DO THE GULDSTRAND MOD,WHICH BY THE WAY I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ,FOR THE PAST 1 1\2 YEARS,AND FINALY FOUND THANKS TO YOU GUYS. LASTLY I HAVE FOUND A BUBBLE (CASTER CAMBER GUAGE )WHICH HAS AN ADJUSTMENT ON THE CASTER AND KING PIN INCLINATION SECTIONS ,CAN ANY ONE HELP ME USE IT ,SO I CAN TRY OUT THE SETTINGS YOU GUYS HAVE SUGESTED . THANKS AGAIN FROM A LONLEY CAMARO FAN IN SOUTH AFRICA.
PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING......SORRY.

[This message has been edited by CESARE 327 RSA (edited 07-03-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 10:45 AM
David Pozzi

Cesare,
Welcome to the forum.
Please do not use all caps in your post. It's hard to read that way and is considered SHOUTING.
Also try and hit the return key between subjects, that makes it easier to read too.

It sounds like your LF A frame is bent. You might concentrate your measuring on that area.

Also try looking under your subframe for matching holes on each side. You could clamp a piece of square tubing or wood across the car lining up with the holes and measure from there to the front wheels.

Sometimes the rear axle can move in it's rubber pads that surround the leaf springs.

The subframe can move too in it's holes.
Regards, David

------------------
Check my web page for suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 03:24 PM
Tech Team

I would also check your shim packs in the upper control arms. 2 bolts that hold the upper control arm shaft to the frame. Various shims should be between the shaft and the frame. Caster and camber are done here by adding or removing shims to each side. If you have too much caster, the top of the spindle will be tilted too far back. Another possibility is that the other side does not have enough caster.(top of spindle tilted too far forward) I would also measure from the lower ball joint to a fixed position at the rear of the car. This should be the same with both lower control arms at the same positon. Hope this helps-Dan

------------------
Dan in WV
Just when you think your car is DONE......

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile

Thank you both for youre help and sujestions, only had 25 minutes to spend on my car after work today so I only managed to shim both upper a arms to 0 camber ,
0 caster ,with both wheels off the ground,just for measuring purposes,and have reduced the offset to only +/- 5 mm difrance between each side.

This 5 mm may be due to the diff though.

Will get back to you , later in week when I hope to get a chance to spend at least 2 to 3 hours on my car.

(Any one out there know how to use my bubble guage correctly ? )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

5 mm is not that bad, How does the car drive?
Straight or dog track?
Alignment specs.
Caster 0 to 1 degree positive
preferred 1/2 degree positive

Camber 1/4 neg to 3/4 pos
preferred 1/2 deg positive

Toe in 1/8 inches to 1/4 inches

Steering axis inclination 8 3/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode