Why won't it start! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Ok, this isn't about my Camaro, but I need some help. My wife's 87 Fifth Avenue has a starting problem. After sitting over night, it will rev once when started then die. It takes several seconds to start again. It acts like it is out of gas. When it has been running and is turned off for a short period of time, it will start and shudder, like it is flooding. At these times, I can see black smoke coming from the tailpaipe and it will clear up after several revs. I am thinking the carb is dumping fuel overnight and during the short periods of time. It is an electronic feedback carb. There are no codes to pull as Chrysler did not have a diagnostic computer then. It has the "lean burn" system also. I need to fix this thing. Can anyone offer some ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

I would swear that whipping the ignition switch on and off three times would cause the check engine light to display codes. Then again I try to stay away from that Mopar stuff. It's different ya know.

-dnult
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

is that chrystler carburated? if so, it sounds to me like a metering problem. you may need to take off the metering block and check the rods inside of it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech

ok, i'm sorry, it's carburated. i have a problem of not reading the post all of the way before i reply
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I'd say check for vacuum leaks first.

Does it have that lean burn computer attached to the air cleaner? That would be the first part to replace. They used to drop like flies back in the day.

There is a procedure to test carb with with propane, a service manual would come in handy. Sorry I don't recall the details.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 02, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Thanks for the reply's. The ccar is old enough that it has no way of detecting or storing codes. Early Mopar. I was thinking of pulling the carb for a rebuild. I just hate to do it in this cold weather. My toy occupies the garage so the Crysler has to sit outside. I really think it is dumping gas as it sits. I have played with it over the past severasl days and have come to this conclusion. Won't know until it is upside down on the bench.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 02, 03:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Are you sure it's too old? We had a 90 LeBaron that would kick out codes. We had to run the car at 2500 rpm's and cycle the air once, then let the idle come down slowly, then turn the key off, then on, off, on again, and the check engine light would flash a code. For example, check engine light flashes twice, (2). Slight pause, then flash on & off 4 times. This would be a code 24. It would then give us a explanation for what 24 means. I have a chiltons from that car still, if I can remember I'll try to look at it & see if 87 does the same. You may be right though, maybe 87's don't do this. I'm surprised it's not a TBI on it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 02, 05:55 PM
David Pozzi

Check the choke and choke pull off. If there is a hole in the pull off diaphram, it won't open the choke blade the small amount it needs to open on startup, and the engine will run rich or flood.
You can test the valve by compressing the plunger, then hold your finger over the vac port. the plunger should not fully return with the port covered, when you uncover the port, the plunger should extend fully then.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 02, 02:33 AM
Senior Tech

I second the choke pulloff. But remember those plugs are shot now too. The feedback system wont come into play till the engine is fully warmed up. But I would put a vac pump on the diaphragm on the leanburn computer. I believe that was the Vac advance/load compensator. Good luck and best wishes

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode