no gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just installed a new fuel tank and new fuel sending unit in my 69 Camaro. I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. Yes I did put gas in the tank. I am getting what feels to be good suction at the fuel pump. Also, when I turn the key on, there is no fuel level indication at the dash gauge. How to tell if the sending unit is good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 04:25 PM

The fuel lines are different depending on your engine and carb set up so I am limited in what I can do to help. The sending unit requires a ground to work, so make sure the ground wire is in place. My sender connects to the main fuel line with a short piece of rubber fuel line. If your is the same, make sure the line is not kinked. The tank requires a vent to function correctly. Mine comes with a vented cap. You may need to blow compressed air in the main line to free an obstruction. Make sure the fuel pump is disconnected,and you blow the air in the other end of the line, NOT in the tank.If all else fails, then down comes the tank, and a check of the sending unit itself is required. The sending unit itself is simple. Check the pipe for free flow and check the reostat with an ohm meter or test light and separate power source.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:45 AM

Where did you get the sending unit? Is it an original GM? I've heard bad things about the new repros. Luckily I found a brand new original GM when doing mine.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Restoman, I check the short piece of rubber tubing and there is no kinks. I will try the blow out the main line this weekend. I'll let you know. Thanks

Judd, I bought the sending unit from a dealer who buys his parts from chicago. When I bought it from him, he pulled it out of the original box and tested it, after testing the old unit. It tested fine. Maybe the ground wire is not getting good metal contact. I will check this weekend. Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 03:47 AM

Hmmmmmmm, what else could it be? Just scuff the area that you are using for a ground and maybe that will help resolve the prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode