shooting off belts at high rpm's - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

69 camaro w/V8 p/s . At high rpm the alt/water pump/crank belt will fly off. Replaced belt (45" 11mm cogged and un cogged)numerous times. THe crank pully appears really large and could contribute to very high belt speed. Pulleys look good and alignment also looks good (eyeball). What is the proper pulley diameter of the crank shaft pulley? Is there a worthwhile serpintine pulley/belt system that is good for high perfomance camaro? Thinking of replacing w/ electric fan system. Any experiience or suggestion for surpentine pulley/belt and electric fan system? All comments suggestions appreciated.
thx
joe c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
David

Thumbs up

I had the same problem. I bought used crank,water pump and alt. pulleys from a 85-86 chev truck, they have a combination serpentine belt drive for the alt. and v-belt for the power steering. I also installed an electric fan at the same time, now i can rev 7 grand all day and not throw a belt

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:41 PM

I had the same problem. There are a few things that you want to check. The biggest thing is, is the pulley on the altinator straight? If it is check the pulleys that the belt comes into contact with. Youll probably have to remove the belt and spint the pulley slowly to see any wobbles. Or it could be a bent altinator bracket. I have a modified alt bracket on so it bends out a little. So the tighter it is the further it sticks out. The way I fixed this problem was to get a bigger pulley. You just have to be carefull that you are charging the battery if you do this. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67FREAK:
I had the same problem. I bought used crank,water pump and alt. pulleys from a 85-86 chev truck, they have a combination serpentine belt drive for the alt.

Does the tension adjustment remain at the alternater? Did it remain a 45" Belt, and is it a wide multi-groove belt? I would go with that set-up because the p/s belt never shoots off.

I also installed an electric fan at the same time,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you acquire the electric fan? Any suggestions from your experience on thermo-sensor,wireing, and fan diameter and manufacturer?

look foreward to your response.

thx
joe c.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 06:16 PM
Tech Team

two things to do. 1st make sure the pulleys are alligned with each other . 2nd you can buy deep grove pulleys that will help.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 06:23 PM
David Pozzi

Put a straight edge on the pulleys and make sure they are straight, not only in angle but front and rear position.
You can buy shims for the water pump pulley to move it forward, if that is what you need.

Z/28 deep grouve pulleys are a ton better than stock pulleys.
They are still available from GM, I think.
I know the short water pump deep pulleys are.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech

Also, don't thing that belt brands won't have anything to do with it. Mine will throw a NAPA belt in a few miles, but my Mercruiser belt has been on for 2 years now.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech

Moroso sells a deep as heck groove alternator pulley. it worked for me.

John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech

I had this same problem all of last year. Here is the link to the discussion. https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum5/HTML/000545.html I had several items all adding up to a problem. First there was a small dent in my crank pulley. Second was poor alignment. Use a metal carpenter's L square to check them with no belts on. If you are just looking at the pulley's they are best viewed by standing beside the car facing toward the front of the car and turning your head sideways to look at alignment. This may sound strange, but it works. Last, I had used a flex fan. When you revved the engine you could see slack in the long side of the alternator belt for a moment due to fan drag. What finally fixed it was changing back to a clutch fan. I also put on a 5" deep groove alternator pulley from Summit, $20. Not a bad idea if you are going to turn some RPM's. Good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 05:29 PM

Every time I get heavy into it, mine squeel. Mine are lined up fine, tried diff. pullies and nothing has worked. I think I would like to use timing belts.

69er

------------------
69 Camaro 454
71 Nova 454

If your not living on the edge then your taking up too much space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode