RE: AC Condensor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 03, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

I have the original AC Condensor for my 68 Camaro. It was laying in the trunk when I bought the car. I am reinstalling the AC on the car and was wondering how do you tell if the original condensor is any good or not, or do you have to take it to a shop to have it checked? It looks fine and still has the hoses attached to it. But wondered what to look for in trying to check it!
Thanks
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Usual checking A/C system for leaks if one is empty is to chrage the system with dry nitrogen to about 150-200 psi and Use Snoop or a soapy solution for leaks.

If you have a buddy in HVAC, ask him for pressure testing.

Otherwise, you could hook up shop air to it and soak with soapy solution and watch for bubbles. Use metal fittings as plastic would break.

Once you have the system back together, evacuate for a couple hours, or borrow your HVAC buddy's micron meter. When it reads less than 200 microns, its evacuated!! See if the system holds the vacuum overnight, then charge with your choice of A/C fluid.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 01-14-2003).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech

Take a good look at all the fins, if they are falling apart, time for a new one.
Any signs of oil build up near the bottom, is a good sign that it was leaking,
Since it is out of the car, jerry rig the fittings to put some compressed air to it, start at 50 -75 psi. use soap water to look for leaks.
I converted my 68 over to R-134, it works good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help. This tech. line has been so helpful through out the entire restoration process on my Camaro. Keep the info coming!!
Oldcarman49er
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 03, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Rob, could you give me the details of the change over? My R12 system was working a few years ago, but it seems I have lost the freon. I would like to convert to R134 also.

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 3/7/02)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 03, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech

Hey No problem, It only took all summer,
Went south for vacation, picked up one of those kits from K-Mart, three cans and a can of oil, Had the system evacuated for 3/4 hour, then we undid a few hose and flushed the system with an AC cleaner, evacuated again .5 hour, filled the system with the three cans from the kit.
the kit includes an adapter for R-134 hose hook up, we could only use the low side, as the high side adapters did not fit.
The guy that helped me with it had an old set of gauges so we had the old set hooked into the high side and the R-134 machine hooked into the low side.
Every thing worked pretty good, for that summer, but not really cold, still had some warm air blowing from the heater.
Looked at the schematic for the system, figured out that there are a couple of doors, that are vacumm activated, I don't remember hooking up a vacumm hose when I put the motor in.
Found the resovoir under the Left fender, hooked up a vacumm source, got both doors working now.
Now I cannot get any Cold, the AC line from the POA to Compressor is frosting up ( Low side) WHY WHY WHY?????
Get a thousnad might be this might be that opinions, get pissed off, found a small leak at the hose into condensor, Thats it, tear the whole system apart and check every thing......
Have new hoses made up, with new seals and fittings, Comb the condensor fins, Order new expansion valve, ( Two different styles are used on the 68) find out that the nut inlet side of the evaporator is stripped, pull the evaporator box apart, on the blow side all kinds of leaves and crap fall out, Order NOS evaporator from AC Delco dealer, put every thing back together, evacuate and recharge system, 2.75 lbs of R-134 is all you need,
I think we put in 4 or 6 ozs. of oil,
Man does it blow cold air now, Since the 68 heater core stays HOT all of the time I was still getting a mix of warm and cold when running down the highway.
I tee into the vacumm hose controlling the right kick panel door, Vacumm present on Maximum Cold, run it out to the engine compartment and install a water valve that shuts flow OFF with vacumm applied,
Now I have good cold AC,
If only I can get rid of the damm Wind whistles with the windows up.
Any More ????
Just ask.
Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode