Excessive Oil Consumption - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 03, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

My parts car is driveable, and has an 86 305 HO with the 700R4. I drive it once in a while since I can't drive the 83 currently, and when I do, I normally drive in each gear until I want it to shift, like a manual. I normally shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm under normal accleration. I noticed that the oil (Quaker State 10w30 Full Synthetic) has gone black as tar, and it is using about a quart every 500 miles or so. In your opinions, do you think that the consumption is due to valve seals or rings? It is too hard to diagnose the engine for a miss as it has a computer controlled Q Jet with no computer or wiring (was originally a TPI car). It does idle very smooth, though, all considering and pulls a rock solid vacum of 17.5 . Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 03, 05:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

A good indicator of loose guides/bad seals would be to warm the engine up and then drive it in low gear to about 3500 rpm or so and then let off the gas; if it smokes out the pipes under the high vacuum deceleration it is likely guides/seals, or possibly an intake gasket leaking (sucking oil) underneath.

Rings will usually smoke under acceleration more. Also double-check the pcv line for excess oil in it; they can suck oil if bad or not properly baffled.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 03, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Cool, I will try that. I have noticed some smoke at startup sometimes, and once in a while when I am ensuring that the floorboard still works. Could part of it be the fact that I have emission lines tied off in all kinds of odd places? I actually have 2 lines running to the PCV valve, and another one that I beleive was originally running to the PCV is blocked off.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 03, 08:24 PM
David Pozzi

I'm pretty sure a computer carb with no computer will run full rich on part throttle. This is going to be hard on the rings and fuel mileage.

I'd put a non computer carb on it.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 03, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas, I think it is the guides/seals. It did smoke on the decel.

I do have a 625 Carter AFB and a Holley Street Dominator intake that I am going to put on the motor, but I am doing some work to the set of heads off my old 305 before I get too gung ho on it. I want to just be able to pull the motor and tranny, hook it up in the 83, and go (famous last words, I know!). I did not know that the carb running rich was that hard on the rings, I don't think I will be driving it anymore for a while. I have too much money into the suspension of the 83 not to be driving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode