brake pulsating... please help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

does anyone ever have a problem with their camaro brakes? my lovely z28 has been with me for 3 yrs. but this is the third time i have to change the brake rotors becuz they seem to be out of round...
the dealer says there are 2 causes, overuse of the brakes, and heat... considering my driving habits, these two reasons just dont apply to me.... anybody ever experienced this before??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 12:01 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

depends on the year, if your's is a fourth gen then the brake rotors are indeed an issue as they tend to develop a warp without really being excessively used. i've heard some of the owners get frustrated enough (even after warranty replacements) they buy an quality aftermarket brand and that's the end of the problem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I had a similar problem on my daily driver VW. Replaced the rotors under warranty twice before the problem abated. I think they had a bad batch of rotors (weak metal) that warped easily. The last set put on has been flawless for over 20K miles now. The other two were the factory originals (changed at 5K) and 1st replacements (changed at 10K) which both warped very quickly under normal driving.

------------------
Scott- Austin, Texas
My '68 RS/ZZ4

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

on cars with the 2 piece rotors, you need to be sure to tighten the lug nuts evenly, and to the proper torque value. tighten them up with an impact wrench in a circular pattern like you see the Winston Cup pit crews do, and i can almost guarantee they will warp. use a torque wrench and go every other lug nut, sneaking up on the final torque in 2 or 3 steps, and you might not warp the rotor.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see dirty pics here of a car that gets driven http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech

I think 3 changing the rotor three times in three years means the dealer is the guy over tightening the lugs. If it's a chevy authorized dealer I'd contact chevrolet and get my money back. You'll find their numbers on their website.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
I have to agree with Novaderrick --The dealership I worked for did not want us to put the wheel back on with an impact wrench -we had to use hand wrenches and a torqure wrench. Most places are now using "torque sticks" I don't put a lot of faith in those things. Whenever I have work done that invoves removing a wheel I always take it home and slap a torque wrench to it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 03, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
I had the brakes done twice on my 96RS while it was under under the 3year/36,000 deal. I have the Y87 performance package, so I have the same brakes as the z28. I only have 45,000, so I haven't had the brakes done since my warrenty expired, but they still pulse. Since you have a z28, I would not use a impact gun as you could damage your aluminum rims and never torque them past 100 ft pounds. That will definitely warp the rotors. The rotors on the 4th gen cars are thin and warp easily. I would replace the warped rotors with a high quality rotor from Baer etc. The pulsing should go away with the new rotors unless you really beat on your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode