Carburetor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

I have a '69 Z/28 that has a 302 with a 750 holley carb.It is flooding out and not running good at all.Is the carb too much for the engine?Can I change the jets or do I need to change the carb?What came stock on the 302 in '69?
Thank you
Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Stock it had a 780 cfm vac secondary so they could win races at 7000 RPM. There is something wrong with your float/needle and seat. Try adjustment first then a teardown of the carb might be in order. Carb might be a bit big for good street drivabillity but not the source of this problem.
-Mark.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

Go with an edlebrock 500cfm carb it's perfect for a 302($200). The 750 is way too big for your application.

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I'm not trying to be a Di_khead goat, but I hope NOBODY ever puts an edelbrock carb on a Z-28.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech

if i had one, i would put a Q-jet on it... from a mid 80's 305, and hook up all the feedback stuff... or, maybe a rochester 2 barrel would work better- not the decent ones, but the "half a Q-jet". that would kick butt on an otherwise original Z28...
of course, i am kidding. but it would be MY car to do as I wish with...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 03:48 PM

Some DZs also came with 2- 4 bbl carbs (JL-8)
so a 750 holley would highly unlikely be too much. I have had the same problem with my 750. Usually, I change my blow out valve and presto, good as new. Also, what is your air fuel set at? check for cracks in the metering block and as said before, set your floats low. Good luck Tarheel!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

i don't think the JL8 cars necessarily had the cross ram intake setup. i believe that was a totally seperate option, available on any Z28, or even dealer installed, sold over the counter. JL8 was the 4 wheel corvette brakes, and available on any camaro, from what i have read here. any 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual JL8 cars out there? that would be a neat find.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 02, 02:24 PM

NovaDerrik, Thanks, you are right, dont know what I was thinking! Still the X-Ram is a lot of fuel! if a DZ could handle something like that it seems like it would be pretty hard to flood one out with a 4150.
Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 02, 03:33 PM
Team Member
John

Cross-rams were over-the-counter dealer parts only - never installed in production. Your 750 should work fine, probably just needs a good cleaning and a rebuild kit, and the floats set properly (don't buy anything but the correct Holley kit - the parts store "generic" kits are junk). The original 4053 carb was a 780, way too big for the street, but they had to build production Z's with them so they were SCCA-legal for Trans-Am racing. Truth be told, 302's run much better on the street with a 600; better metering and booster signal due to higher venturi air velocity, better driveability and throttle response. Jeg's sells a 600 Holley #0-80145 for $260 that's physically and visually identical to the original 780 (4150, dual-feed, center-hung floats, vacuum secondaries) except it has an electric choke. Had one on my Z for a while when Jerry MacNeish was rebuilding my 4053, worked great, straight bolt-on including the stock fuel lines, jetting was fine right out of the box.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode