am i getting ripped - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Question

recently i hit a deer with my 96 camaro. it's a standard transmission and the deer was about 200 pounder. the deer went under the car and came out the back side at the time. the car was driven approximately 4 miles to our home. the car was then towed to the dealership for repair on the body. when we went to pick the car up it wouldn't start, so it went into the shop for mechanical repair to see what happened.at this time they said it was just running yesterday when we did the alignment on it. i was called wednesday by the mechanic who said the harmonic balance sensor was out and it showed signs of corrosion and the wires leading to it were broke, so he was told to repair it, then he calls thursday to say he is getting the same code off the computer so it must be the computer, once again i said fix it then. now he calls me tonight and tells me that the thrust bearing on the crank shaft is bad. he keeps stating that these kinds of things happen. now i'm thinking how convenient for them to happen at the dealership that was telling me we could trade it in just 2 weeks ago for 1500. can anyone of you tell me if it seems possible for all of these things to go bad at once like this, we have never had any problems with this car before except for an oxygen sensor. we take very good care of this car and it all seems strange to us. any thoughts would be appreciated..

mary gallagher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

I think some are mistaken on what the worlds oldest profession is. I also think you are getting the business. My opinion no matter what is, you giving them money is getting you the same product of the worlds oldest proffession, no matter what proffession is the worlds oldest.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 04:20 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Mary,

There's no way for me to tell you that you are being taken advantage of all though your circumstances certainly lend themselves to it happening. What condition was your car in and what mileage does it have on it? Your 8 year old car could very well have the problems you describe. The thrust bearing is a serious problem but unless it's caused the crank to sieze up or other internal damage it shouldn't cause starting problems. I would venture to guess the starting issues are related to the accident and/or the repairs. Wires pulled loose or sensors damaged.

Find out what kind of automotive consumer protection your state has, we have what is called the B.A.R. here in CA and they look into questionable practices. If I provided them with your story and proof the car is worth a great deal more than the offer ( www.edmunds.com or www.kbb.com ) and also proof the car ran after hitting the deer they would be fairly quick to look into the matter.

Also I have to ask what is your insurance saying? Obviously the car ran before hitting the deer so then isn't all this part of the repair process and covered? Let them know what you suspect and see where they take it...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your replies i was very upset when i started this now for the rest of the story (lol) the mileage on the car is at 105+k miles. the car was running after the accident because the mecahnic stated that's strange when we went out to drive it home from the repair. at this time it was told to us that we drove it into the alignment area, etc.., My hubby is like the rest of you probably are-the camaro is his baby and she gets her tune-ups and all done like clockwork, the last time tuned was less than 2,000 miles ago and different mechanic gave the car a clean bill of health at that time. there were no odd noises coming from the car prior to the mechanic taking possession of it, the tow truck driver can verify this. not to repeat myself it's just so strange, the way the mechanic explained it to me is he had to pull the pulley to the crank out to repair the harmonic balance sensor, then the code came back after repair that the balancer is still showing bad code and then the computer story, then now yesterday he stated that they had to call the chevrolet experts to get a list of other possible causes and he said they told him to take a pry-bar to the back of (i think he said the pulley)??? and if it moves it's bad, so he said it moved almost a quarter of an inch so that needs to be replaced. as for the insurance company they seem to be getting fed up with the chevrolet dealership mechanic involved-at last call last night i was told we have not received any information on this and have called three times to request fax, please try to relax and due to the fact that they have waited until they close on a friday there is nothing to be done until monday. the insurance seems to be trying to get this resolved but i'm hope you understand i am sitting here going how convenient for all this work being needed as it's in their posession. hope that explains it better to all of you. thanks again.

mary gallagher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode