Starting problem!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am stumped and i need some help. I have an 85 camaro with a v6 2.8 engine and i can't get it to start after tons of hours i can't figure it out. I put in a new battery and igntion coil just to make sure, and i don't get any spark and i had a parts store check the module and it is fine, and so is the pick-up coil. All of the wires look fine to me, so i have no idea why it wouldn't start. It is turning over but won't start. I finally got so fustrated and went out today and tried it and it started no problem, but after i put the hood back on and about 15 min. later it wouldn't start so i am back to square one. Any ideas i need some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 01:02 PM
Tech Team

You said you weren't getting any spark when it doesn't start. Is there any fuel getting to the engine? The ecm (computer)together with the distributor set-up(module and pick up coil) control fuel and spark. When you checked the distributor, Did it have what appeared to Bird crap on the inside? This is one sign that the pick-up coil is going south. If you get it running again, another thing to check is the ECM. Take your ECM down (don't unplug it) and give it a slap with your hand with the engine running.You might want to take it down before you try to start the car. If your car stalls out, you've probably found your culprit. I think the ECM is behind the glove box. But it might be in one of the kick panels. (it's been a while since I played with a 80's camaro)You might want to find out for sure from someone else.Good Luck and I hope this helps ya-Dan in WV
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 00, 08:05 PM
David Pozzi

If your distributor does not have a vaccum advance can on it, then your ecm controlls spark advance. In that case if you are SHURE everything else is correct.It may be the ecm.

Check the dist for a green lead. I think you can put a 12v test light from there to ground and crank the engine. if the light blinks your module and computer are triggering spark.
Did you check the pickup coil with an ohm meter?
Are you getting voltage TO the ignition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode