wipeless wipers - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Put in a new underhood wiring harness last year and after getting the car out of storage, the wipers blow the 20a fuse immediately. I took the motor out and tested it with 12v of current, seems to work fine, but when I hook it up to the wiper arms and harness, it blows. the wiper arms seem to be moving fine, (manually). tested the terminals and they have 12v of current, maybe I need to test amperage? Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you may have a bad ground somewhere, either at the fusebox or the switch, could even be at the wiper motor itself. Had a similar problem, couldn't trace the ground problem, ended up running a ground wire from the wiper motor to the firewall.
Just food for thought......KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
One of the bolts that hold the wiper motor to the firewall has a clip on it that grounds to the motor assembly then as the bolt goes in it grounds itself to the body. Maybe you have a buildup of paint that is not allowing the ground through the bolt to the body.
-or-
Dont drive in the rain.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
Tim's Homepage
AOL-IM = sixtsevnss

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Like above, check the strap ground on the firewall grommet. It's got to have bare metal to work. You may also want to try attaching some other 12v accessory to the plug and apply a load to see if the fuse blows. You can also put an in-line fuse on the motor when you bench test to confirm proper operation.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK, thanks for the replies, I took the motor off and cleaned up the grounding piece, it did have quite a bit of paint on it, and put it back on, but this time I reversed the connector also so that the polarity would be reversed, and by God, it works now, either from the build up being scraped off(most likely)or the polarity change, (I don't know, I read somewhere that the motor could stall if the wrong connection was made, which is possible with the new harness I installed, anyway thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode