350 starting problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 03, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Have totally rebuilt the Original 350 in my 67 camaro. Bored 30 over & new from top to bottom.Only performance upgrade was a 270H Comp Cam installed!!Has only approx., 110 miles on it since rebuild! When engine has sat 3 or more hours not running,Battery turns the motor over as normal & starts very time. Now if the engine has ran 10 or more minutes & i shut it down for just 3-5 minutes or even 30 minutes it will not crank it over fast enough to start. Turns over barely! Now is it my starter Bad, or is Starter swelling up because of the heat & need a heat shield , or do i need a higher cranking amp battery (610) because of the tight engine after rebuild!! Need anwers ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 03, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
It could be as simple as battery cables needing cleaning at both ends, and of a good size, e.g., AWG 2 or better.

New engine will be tight to turn when hot. Starter may be dragging, battery may not be large enough.

Use A DMM and measure across bat terminals while cranking, if less than 10 volts, then its either low battery, dragging starter. Borrow a battery and check again.

Or too much initial base timing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 03, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Check the grounds on the engine to chassis and to the fire wall. They need to be clean and free of paint at both connection points IE engine clean and firewall attachment point clean. Did you even put them back on when you reinstalled the engine? Don't feel bad if you did not alot of people don't.

Also check the neg battery cable where it connects. The best place is to attach it to the engine block. Its attacment point needs to be clean also. If you pick up a current issue of Car Craft it has a very nice little article on checking cables and charging systems. It would be easier for you to get the issue than explain it here. It has pictures and diagrams that are worth a 1000 words.

Almost forgot;
Check where the starter is attached to the engine. It's contact points or mounting location should also bbe free of paint.

All these little things add up to resistance and hard starting while hot.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Kinda sounds like mind did a couple years ago. Had to keep it on the charger all the time. I changed the timming, replaced the cables and wrapped the starter. Still had no luck. All the while my wife and kid were saying "CHECK THE BATTERY". (It was a new deep cycle 600 cca from my trailer.) Well, finely I took their advice and got a Diehard 900 cca and haven't had a problem since. good luck Kevin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

kevin; this sounds identical to my steps i have taken & i too believe a battery replacement is the step needed. If i clamp on one of those carry along boosters & it turns it over easily .I have the old style battery with the fill caps.Not sure if it is 3 or 10 years old as i have 0only owned this 67 Camaro since late summer!! Is Diehard an AC delco or ??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Die Hard is not an AC Delco, Sears carries Die Hards and they are good batteries. You really can't go wrong with AC Delco, Die Hard, Exide, or any of the other brand name batteries. I agree with the above posts as well, make sure all connections are dry and clean. If you don't know the history of the batteru I think I would replace it, though that would be easy to determine with a volt meter. Let us know what you find.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

When the engine comes to a point were it will not start & i have used a carry along Booster pack--It turns it over easily & starts immediately! If it were a starter problem or Ground issue would the boost offer such a quick start?? I was told the battery cycles from cell to cell & pending which one it ends up on for start may determine if bad cell or two. Will use Hydrometer to test cells as i have the original style Delco battery in car. It may be 3-10 years old as i do not know this!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 03, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

HEY GUYS: to to let you know i had the starter off & also pulled out battery & had them both checked by Universal Electric Shop. They do a Load test on them & the starter was fine BUT the battery was TOAST!! Replaced it with a 24-7yr., AC Delco 660CA . Unbelievable how well it works on cold & more so on hot starts. Thanks for all your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode