speedo cable leaking ... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

After dealing with a dead fan motor and A/C, I went to crawl under the dash only to find a small puddle of oil that had dripped from my speedo cable on our trip home from a car show. My sock also had a huge stain on it as well.
Is there some kind of gasket, O ring or something that should keep any fluids from leaking out? Has this happened to anyone else? Wonder how rare it is?
If it isnt one things its another.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 04:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Yes, this has happened to me and others.

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=000246#000008

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 04:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Jim,

I don't know enough to say trans fluid can or can't travel through the speedo cable to the dash but I've never heard of it before. Usually you here of needing to lube the cable because it gets dried out. A little oil goes a long way on the bottom of a sock or in a drip puddle. Is it possible you over lubed the cable and that is what you are seeing? Can you tell that it's tranny fluid? Any chance you have an oil pressure guage with a drip that's traveling before dripping?

If it is trans fluid the problem should be at the trans end of the cable so start there...

Edit: Robert squeeked that one in as I was typing. I must have missed the post he linked too. Good stuff Rojo!!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Thanks guys, I also wondered about the oil line but it was dry as a bone.. I also have never lubed the speedo at all. I did remove the speedo connection to check which gear I had (receiving gear I think its called,) I had the blue one for a 3.08. anyway I just put that all back in last week before our trip.
The oil was darker and didnt look red like you would think but that link rojo gave talked about discoloration as fluid moves up the cable over the old crud and lubes in there, might change the color.
I will have to check the connection and seal in the tranny somehow again. Darn, this and the A/C issue might keep the Camaro home from our Denver trip. bummer.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 02:56 PM
Team Member
John

You may have disturbed the seal inside the speedo gear sleeve when you removed it to check the gear; it's there to keep trans lube from "climbing" up the cable (it's spiral wound and acts like a pump). [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Bingo, never thought of that place since the shiney sleeve that holds the driven gear fits so tight, I presumed that was the seal but now I will pull that stuff out and check for a seal again.
Thanks John and guys.
Probably wont have time to get to it since we leave on Wed. morning for Denver. Sure hope I get all these bugs out before the Seattle show in August. We really want to make that happen.
[img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode