Pulling my Hair Out - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey, I'm about to go bald. Help me guys.
Just got my sbc fired the other day and can't get to run right. When setting the timing (with new timing light) I noticed the light was irregular. I reach down to make sure I was getting fire and pulled at the #1 plug boot. It slid off about half way and the engine sped up. Put it back on and it immediately went to mis-firing again. I ordered a new cap and rotor for my HEI and check everything out. It still does the same thing. I am running new wires and accel plugs. Any suggestions why this would be occurring. If the #1 is doing it, the others are probably doing something simular.
Thanks
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech

well, if it has way too much advanced timing, then if you eliminate a cylinder from the engine, it will speed up due to having one less piston working against the motion of the crankshaft. what is your base timing supposed to be set at? did you check base timing? what is your advance method?(vaccum advance, mechanical, electronic spark timing?) i am sure that you are familliar with these things, but if you set base timing with the advance already on, then you will advance way too much and yes, the motor will work against itself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Nate,
Thanks for the response. I just ordered a TDC locator tool to make sure I have the right "marked" balancer or if the outer ring has moved. It is a DZ 302 that has been put together. I will check the timing mark when I get the tool. However, I have never witness this. I have a pretty good ear when timing and the vacuum is at about 18 to 19 in. but the idle still seems rough and the response is sluggish. I will wait to confirm TDC and will let you know.
Again, I appreciate the response and all tips are helpful.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 01:14 PM

Spark plug gap okay? Sounds like too much of a gap..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

I also have a pretty good ear for timing. I remember well over perculating my 429's radiator on a run down the coast of Wainae. Unless some cap contacts are shorted to number one the only other explanation of reduced power is number one is interfering when firing due to added BTDC firing (advanced timing) or maybe your intake valve isn't sealed when firing or a head gasket snafu. Try removing other plug wires besides #1. Just disconnect only one when running. I'd figure if you get the same results running on 7 cylinders and an idle speed increase you're just hearing the results of an advanced timing or all you intake valves leak. At least you'll know it's not #1 specific if you get the same results removing other plug wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode