dash lights - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

i have a 1989 firebird 305 tbi . on the dash there is a light that says "security". the problem is that every now and then if someone sits in the passenger seat buckles the seat belt and closes the door the light comes on. what does this light monitor and what can i do about it? thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 11:57 AM

on most of these models the security feature is mainly for the driver here is something to check on, as the law states the operator(driver) of the vehicle must wear your seat belt make sure your seat belt is buckeled when the light is on. you might be just be paying attention to the light when you have a passenger. anyways it sounds like your please buckle your seatbelt light something that might also be triggering it at that exact time might be the fact that the computer is telling the car "hey there is someone in the passenger seat with there seat belt on this means there must be a driver in the vehicle too, driver please put on your seat belt it is good to keep the passenger safe but if you get in an accident and it kills or knocks you out , it isn't going to do the passenger any good when you go flying off a cliff because you got knocked out and couldn't steer the car away from the cliff because you didn't wear your safety restraint."
but as far as i know you are talking about the driver passenger seat belt sensor.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

remove the passenger seat and disconnect the wiring under. plug back in only what is necessary to operate power seat if equipped.
replace all the bolts except for the 2 nearest the drivers seat. cover the seat with plenty of armoral or a silk seat cover. next time you want some one out in a hurry just push on top of seat when door is open.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 02, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings tazjet1701,

Hadn't heard from you since the problem with your fuel pump, glad it's working okay now.
In response to joel88camaro's previous post, all I can say is "DUHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I don't know all the wiring on the Pontiacs, so I don't claim to be an expert on them or even close. However, on the 1989 camaro's, there is a red warning light on the lower left hand side of the instrument panel. This light will come on momentarily when the driver gets in the car, closes the door, and attempts to start the car without fastening the seatbelt. There is a wire harness that connects to the base of the drivers seat belt where it mounts to the floor. There is not a wire harness on the passenger side. On the 1989 camaro's, the yellow security light which is mounted on the instrument panel between the steering wheel and the service engine soon light, will come on briefly (about 2 seconds) when the key is inserted in the ignition lock and turned to the on position. This lets the driver know that the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) is activated and working (that is unless someone has by-passed this system which sometimes happens). Does your key have a pellet in it? Did you ever find a good maintenance manual to use? A haynes or chilton might give you a reference to it, but your best bet is a good set of service manuals from your local dealership. They are not that expensive and they are a good investment!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 07-10-2002).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

het trickster thanks for your reply. it seems that everyone is a comedian now, huh? lol. no my key does not have a pellet in it. like most of us i bought the car used and the previous owner did not seem to know much about the car as he also bought it from someone else. i dont have an owners manual and the repair mans. dont say anything about a security system. i also noticed that on each door there were aftermarket stickers for an apparent security system although i could not find any trace of one having been installed. my guess, a 50 cent insurance policy.as for the security light i thought i would just remove the bulb. do you think this will do any harm? also if you have any leads as to where i could find an owners manual (cheap) for my firebird i would be grateful. thanks for your help.

michael
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings tazjet1701,
No wonder there are so many comedians out of work these days, everybody tries to be one.
I don't know about the prices down there in sunny Florida, but, the prices for a complete set of service manuals and the owners manual for my 1989 camaro only cost me $80.00 by going thru the service manager at my local chevrolet dealership. It wouldn't hurt to call them up and ask them about it. It also doesn't cost anything to ask. The service manuals cover all firebird models for that year and include late production changes to the cars. It is also more comprehensive than the chilton or haynes and is a lot easier to understand.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 02, 06:19 PM

Maybe the security light is telling you o BEWARE of your passenger. Are they mad enough to through you out of th ar if you don't hae your seatbelt on too??? How's the weatherstripping go?? Did you use the black goo everyone on here seems to recommend?? E-mail me your response. I don't chechk this often. Did you notice all the posts for starting problems???Gonna suggest a heat sheild to my honey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode