92 camero speedometer problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Question

my speedometer/odometer does not work on my 92 camero. The manuals i have purchased show that it should have a speedometer cable, upon pulling our the entire gage cluster there is no place for a speedometer cable to hook up to, i checked all the gears and they are working fine. im not sure where to go now please help if you can if more information is need please let me know.

robert campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 11:24 AM

Angry

Did it ever? Maybe thats the prob it isn't there
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

then where would the problem be

robert campbell

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 10:00 AM

Well I was being a little serious and silly at the same time. My first question is 1) Did the speedometer ever work?

The two times I have delt w/ them on older Camaros the cable comes out the side of the trany and up through firewall and plugs into the back of the speedometer. No way in heck you could miss it. Is this an electronic display of any kind?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

gagues are not digital, there are 2 computer chips sitting on the bottom of the gage cluster, and absoutly no place for a cable to hook into the speedometer, i bought the car used and the speedometer/odometer was not working when i bought it

robert campbell
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 01:28 PM

And what were you sating about gears? Anyway I went to autozone.com since sometimes they tell you where the parts are but no luck. I did however see a cable for like $4 and a speed sensor or sumtn for like $50+. May want to go to a shop and see what those look like and then find them on the car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

i know what the cable looks like and i just crawled out from under the car and it is not their i do not even see a place for the cable but i will look at the sensor. thanks for the help [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

robert campbell
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 08:17 PM
Tech Team

if the speedo is not working and you are not getting a "service engine soon" light, then the sensor in the trans tailshaft is probably ok... otherwise you would be getting a code24 (VSS) and the light would come on...

so its either the speedo head itself or a connection inbetween...

check for a code 24 first tho

68 camaro... your tipical hipo 350... stl crnk... h beam rods full floating pistons mild cam, auto trans (wanting 700r4)... gears 3.73's... smokes tires lots of fun... also 87 IROC 305TPI 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode