67 motor, 71(nova) m20 muncie and 71 rearend., - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 67 Camaro 327/275, a 71 Nova M20 Muncie, 71 Nova rearend. I know that I should be able to use all of this equipment in my 67 RS, but I'm curious if I need to change anything that I may over looked; ie, driveline.

I posted a topic about my 71 rearend and I gathered that I can use my rearend but may have to changed the length of the driveline. Now since the tranny is from a 71 Nova would I have to compensate for some kind of distance for that plus the rearend, or is the tranny identical to one for a camaro?

"k" now that said...I don't have a bellhousing yet and When I get mIne at the swap meet, coming up this April, which one would I be looking for?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 06:29 AM
Kevin

Hey Kevin, The "corporate" 10 bolts like your 71 were a little longer ( about 1" to 1 1/2") in the front. Generally the driveshaft will need to be shortened. BUT, when the 72 rear was on my car, the driveshaft fit, but was VERY close to the trans. The driveshaft lengths varied a little, so you will have to check yours and see.

The bellhousing is depending on the size flywheel and clutch you plan on using. the 10.5 clutch "403" bellhousing was very popular, so they are reasonable $. The 11" clutch one is the 621(special starter required). BB and high horse SB used that one, so the $$ are higher. Or you can go aftermarket.

The 71 M20 length will depend on the tailshaft length. Can you get that? If it is the same as 69, the the above info will work. If not, you will have some work measuring. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Use a second gen driveshaft. Should fit U-joint and lengthwise, but, not really sure on length issue. Or use the 71 Nova driveshaft.......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 09:12 AM

If you have the 71 Nova driveshaft, use it. The 67 - 69 Camaros and 68 - 72 Novas wer built on the same platform. You can use the tranny driveshaft and rear from the Nova and everything should fit for correct length. Good Luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

sounds great...i'm looking forward to fun [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. it seems that I'm getting a little bit of good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech

a Nova has a longer wheelbase than the 67-69 Camaro's that usd the same parts. in other worrds. one of the few driveline parts that are different from Nova to Camaro is the driveshaft. pretty much everything else under the car is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode