starting problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 02, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

ok, here's the problem, key turns and all it does is buzz, no crank, nothing. I had the battery tested and charged and it's fine, changed the ignition switch, put new battery cables on there and had the starter checked and it's "supposed" to be fine. still nothing, however when I try bridging the battery terminal to the motor terminal on the starter, it started cranking,,, problem was it wouldn't stop cranking, it did manage to start but i couldn't get it to stop cranking till i disconnected the battery, and then it was smoking, (the starter). anybody got any ideas as to what it could be now? neutral start switches? wiring? any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 02, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

I would say that you need to do some fundamental testing like in a service manuall to help you out. The library should be a good source.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 02, 11:05 AM

It sounds like a problem I had when I first put my 68 on the road. It turned out that the voltage regulator (I think that was what it was called) was shot. Once it was replaced the problem went away. Mine was located near the front of the car on the drivers side attached to the rad brace.

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 02, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech

What are You working on???
Here is a guess if it is an older chevy...By any chance did You mix up the starter wires? The purple wire should be on the small post closest to the block...Yellow wire to the outside small post...
Repost with some more info if that is not it...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 02, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

working on an 84 camaro, i think after i pulled the starter off the first time i may have missed something, there are three posts on the starter correct? are all three of them supposed to have wires attatched?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 02, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech

not sure which wire goes to which solenoid terminal on your 84 but that definitly sounds like the problem. how long did it run turning the starter?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 02, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

i'd say it ran for a good maybe 2-5 minutes, there was this funky smell, and smoke emanating from the starter, so i think i did it harm,
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 02, 12:07 PM

i am no expert, but i think you may want to r&r (remove and repair/replace)that starter. if it is not gone now it will be soon. you may also want to check the ignition module and the starter relay. may not be the problem but is a good place to start. hope this helps. let us know.
michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode