Grounding strap from firwall gets hott when i crank it over? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

u guys are so helpful to some which seems to be the regular guys always on here but never seem to respond or when u do u tend to poke at someones knowledge regarding their problems. isn't what this site was created for was to be helpful to those who enjoy their american classics so much and share with each other their enjoyment of their classic and help when possible.

[This message has been edited by mikenhis69 (edited 03-07-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
John

Mike, Let em eat cake! Anybody with the same passion for F-bodies as me is OK in my book. You would be surprised at the number of folks that frequent this BB as compared to those who post on it. The posters aren't in a click it's just that after a while they get familiar with each other or know one another personally. Take those two Texan (please) for example. Anyway don't get frustrated we really don't play favorites when it comes to help. Hang around and you'll see I'm right.

John

ps did you have a problem with your ground strap? If it's getting hot I would think your system is trying to ground through the strap instead of the battery ground cable. First place I would look is at the ground cable connections. Especially if your cable is connected to the frame and not the motor. If it is connected to the motor maybe it's on a component that is somewhat insulated from the block. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 12:53 PM

Like John said, I would try grounding on the engine. Put you negative battery cable directly to a bolt on the engine, that should solve your problem.
Arley

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

All the ground connections in your car need to make a clean & tight contact (metal to metal). Thats the same for the positive cables. Any loose electrical connection tends to get hot. Also, like "onemorecamaro" said, verify that your car has all the grounds it should have.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Yep, i had this problem too, and it vaporized the ground strap. My neg. cable had deposits on it, the connection wasn't seated, and the other end (non battey side) was connected to the block with heavy paint. After some sandpaper to paint, and the terminal cleaning, it was good as new.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

I had a weird problem with a toyota landcruiser, I grounded to the frame only, and the engine cranked real slow, then I noticed that the choke cable was GLOWING the best ground on the engine was the choke cable where it connects to the dash... the motor mounts were very well isolated, another ground to the motor mount fixed it.
John
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech

TeeToe_Jones,

that is one Sweet Car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode