fuel pump, or electric? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

yeah, its a 88 camaro 305, with TBI, when it actually does start, i hear this weird click nosie behind the dash and it seems that the fuel pump boosts in presure"i can hear it"...and my fuel pump it quite loud...??could this be a valve, or electric problem, or what? and sometimes when i turn the car off, it wont quit running and after about a minute, it finally shuts off...i just bought the car about a month ago, and i just dont get it because it runs fine when its actually running...sound strong and idles perfect???

ŧmts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech

you should try to keep everything in one thread. it is easy to hit the "post a new topic" when trying to hit "post a reply". done that a few times myself, but catch it when it asks for a new topic when all i want to do is reply. maybe the moderator can move this over to your other thread, or you can just post it over there.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

sorry about that, well, i think i know what might be the problem, can anyone tell me when the fuel pressure regulator is located? i have a CHILTON's manuel and it is a POC! doesnt even tell you about anything but specs and how to assemble are re assemble...

ŧmts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

There should be two fuel rails - one for each bank of injectors. The fuel rail sits on top of the injectors, supplies fuel to them, and holds them in place.

Your fuel line should enter one rail near the firewall. The two rails should be connected together by a piece of tubing or fuel line in the front. As the fuel reaches the end of the other fuel rail, near the firwall, there should be a round vacuum canistor with a vauum line attached. That is your regulator. It regulates pressure by controlling the flow of return fuel back to the tank. Pressure is changed by changes in manifold vacuum.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings asmbandit,

Your fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel metering cover on the 5.0l tbi engine. If you would like, I can send you a picture of it from the GM service manual. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

well, i bought a fuel pump and i hope this is what it is...i dont think that the regulators are the problem now because when it finally starts, it runs perfect...my fuel pump is very noisey, and doesnt shut off after 2 seconds... it has a very weird habbit of starting, after cranking it for about 10 secs, the check engine light comes on and it fires right up, then the light goes off....its start exactally like this every time...i just dont get it???

ŧmts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode