door won't open - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The other post about the door not opening reminded me about a problem I have with my driver door. When I push the outside button in it doesn't unlatch the door, and sometimes the button gets stuck all the way in the handle. The door handle on the inside works perfect. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

'69 camaro 350 4sp A/C owned 17 yrs, second owner - Sold<br />'70 SS 396 chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

Compair it to the other side. Something is broken or disconected.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 11:06 AM

I feel your pain!!! The door handle has a pin on it that depresses a flat sided bar that actuates the lock mechanism. I was having the same problem with my drivers side door. Sometimes you could open it and other times you had to struggle with it, pushing the knob to the south pole. When I took the car to the body shop for the new paint, I disassembled the doors and when I took off the handles I noticed that the bar on the left side was bent farther in than the right door. I bent it back, replaced the handle and viola! That was two and a half years ago and it still works perfectly. Hope that your problem is that simple.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

6911XSS, I was looking at that same flat bar that the button's rod pushes on, and was wandering if I just bent it a little tward the push button if this would solve the problem. I was afraid that fix would not last. It seems to have worked for you so I'll give it a try. It would be great if the door opened everytime! I just had a thought! I bet this bar gets bent back trying to open the door, in the winter, when the look mechanism is frozen!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just came in from the garage and my door is fixed [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] I took the door panel off and looked at possible ways to bend that so called flat plate the pushbutton strikes. I quickly fiqured out that I would have to remove the whole lock mechanism. Then I thought, what about lengthening the pushbutton's rod? The push button wasn't to hard to reach up into the door and turn the locking plate 1/2 turn to release it. I then welded a 1/4-20 X 1/2 hex head bolt to it to give it a little more length and a much wider contact area. 16yrs of door fustration fixed in 1/2hour. [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

I Love It When a Plan Comes Together!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

Don't ever sell that car. Everyone will be laughing when some guy posts pictures including you. Excellent fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode