oil breather - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

'69 350 with aluminum valve covers; there is no baffle on the pass side cover, consequently some degree of oil blows out the breather cap and makes a mess. The driver side is baffled and has a PCV valve in it. If I put a solid cover on the non-baffled side, it blows the PCV valve out of its holder on the other side. If I install a baffle, I can't get the oil in.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 08:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by 2quik:
If I put a solid cover on the non-baffled side, it blows the PCV valve out of its holder on the other side.

Any ideas?
These cars used a 'solid' (a non-vented) cap for their 'positive crankcase ventilation system'. The PCV valve should be hooked up to the base of the carb (or manifold) and create a 'suction' (or slight negative pressure)in the engine block.
It sounds like you have excessive pressure in the block. This could be 'Blow-by' causing pressure to build in the motor, has the engine been overhauled recently or is a high-miler? Check the PCV valve and make sure it is the correct type, installed correctly and fuctioning correctly (not plugged/stuck, etc...).

Post back with what you know or find.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 03, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

This is a 30K motor, PCV is hooked to front of carb at base, working properly, if I put a cap on the pass valve cover, the PCV literally shoots out of its holder within 30 seconds. If this is excessive blow-by, why doesn't the motor use oil?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 03, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 2quik:
Any ideas?
Leave the breather on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 03, 01:45 PM
Team Member
John

What happened to the grommet and elbow on the passenger side that goes to the air cleaner? Doesn't the driver's side cover have an oil fill hole and cap? Does the PCV valve rattle when you shake it?

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 03, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

The oil cap and hose to air cleaner are not on the car, do you think this would just move the mess up to the air cleaner can, or would this reduce the problem? The PCV rattles and is working properly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 03, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

i think that may fix your problem. i had stock valve covers when i first rebuilt my engine. if i remember correctly, on the driver side, there was an oil fill cap and a hole for the pcv valve with a hose going to the base of the carb. the passenger side just has a hole with a 90 degree elbow and a hose going to the air cleaner base, for warm-up?? i changed to edelbrock valve covers. my driver side just has one hole, so i use that for the pcv valve with hose connecting to carb. i just pull the pcv valve out when i add oil.

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 03, 01:13 PM
Team Member
John

The PCV valve in the driver's side valve cover should have a hose going to the carb base - that's the "exhaust" side of the crankcase ventilation system. The "intake" side is the hose from the air cleaner to the rear of the passenger side valve cover, where it draws in filtered air to start its trip through the crankcase and out through the PCV valve into the carb base. If the PCV valve is working and is correctly connected to the carb base, the system will work fine; if the orifice in the valve is plugged (and it can still rattle, even when it's plugged - you have to blow through it to make sure it's clear), not only won't the system ventilate, it'll blow oil vapor out anywhere it can find (or make) an opening. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 06:40 AM

So what would be the possible outcome of having it backwards? Passenger rear -- PCV to maifold, Driver front -- breather.

Where is the oil suppose to go after entering the manifold. Is it suppose to get burned off through the engine or is it suppose to just sit in the base of the intake with no where to go. My situation look like the latter.

Thanks,
Tom
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 06:57 PM

Scratch that, the oil is getting burned off. I guess there was oil built up in the heat crossover passage for some reason? I have no idea why, my current heads don't even use this.

Can anyone answer my previous question about pcv/breather location? I'm very curious to hear an answer

Thanks,
Tom
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

Drivers side valve cover.... PCV valve-hose-manifold vacume connector at base of carb area.
Passengers side valve cover.... connector stuck in valve cover with bigger hose than pcv to manifold one. This line goes to air filter and if original set-up will have a 3M pad looking filter on the inside of the air filter hosing. Air is seposed to be fed from the air filter attached side thru the crankcase and up to the drivers side pcv valve.
My guess is you don't have an air filter that could give you a closed sytem being allowed to connect to both ends. I dont which is why I originally said "leave the breather on."
There are tons of classics running around the same way.
BUT, just because Billy and his friends from the 60's do it isn't any reason you should
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 07:07 PM

My question isn't whether or not I should take the breather out. My question is... what is the consequence of having the crankcase ventilation system backwards? Right now the passenger side has a pcv valve going to the manifold and the driver side has a breather. Would it have caused any problems with sealing? This probably explains why my plug wires were covered with oil from breather after I ran it hard (haven't had car very long). All I need to do is switch the valve covers, but is there any other problems that having this backwards may have caused that I should be worried about?

Thanks,
Tom
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech

I've never seen any documentation of the block and heads setting up things that restrict a person from changing the direction of flow. The valve is what sets up the flow being air can only be sucked in by vacume line to manifold. The air filter side which ever you choose would supply air to the crank case so that air would cycle thru the case to the pcv side then to manifold. It sounds like you don't have an air filter attachment to supply an air flow so good luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 11:04 AM
Team Member
John

Makes no difference whether it's plumbed front-to-rear or vice versa, as long as the PCV valve is working. The hot oil vapors are drawn into the intake through the big nipple in the carb base and mix with the incoming air/fuel charge and are burned.

The factory PCV valve was located in the driver's side valve cover to place the suction on the opposite side of the crankcase from where the oil is thrown upward off the crank and rods.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode