67rs headlamp motor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 02, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

I am rebuilding the old motors on my car and the new gear housings don't fit tight to the elec. motors like the old ones do. the same thing with the shaft bushing on the motor side.Anybody ever done this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 02, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I have rebuilt them before. I have found that it is easier to press the new outer housing into the motor first before loading any gears, then load the gears one level at a time. If you try and load all four levels of gears at the same time, then you have to hit the motor shaft dead-on or you'll have a bear of a time getting it to slide over the motor shaft. The successive levels of gears grip into the outer housing so well it makes it difficult to turn the tiny center gear that goes over the motor shaft if you try to install the whole gear package at once.
The first gear package closest to the motor is obviously the hardest to get in by itself because it teeters back and forth while you install it. But, try loading one level of gearing at a time and I'll bet the pedestal will eventually end up flush with the plastic gear housing.

Instead of rivets on the pedestals, I'm using flat head bolts with tiny aircraft nylon nuts on top.

I have taken four broken or seized motors apart so far. All tend to have rust and pitting on the bottom arm shaft where it passes through the big brass bushing. Only one had an internal gear tooth break and that motor ended up frying the whole nylon motor armature before it toasted the bulb fuse under the black plastic bag of the motor.

By the way. I haven't found any exact replacement for the integrated fuses that slip into that nylon clip at the top of the motor housing. So, currently I have one motor fused bypassed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 02, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

One more tidbit:
The two brushes in the motor have little copper/brass springs behind them that make the brushes press against the top disc of the armature. I lost one of those springs once and tore the garage apart and still couldn't find it.
What saved me was that I had a couple of old lock cylinders for my house door (Schlage). The springs inside the center lock cylinder that has the five pins in it that float has the exact same sized brass springs. I'm betting just about any lock cylinder with pins like that would be a suitable donor for these small brush springs.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the housings you use are better than mine. The fit between the motor and the housing on mine isn't tight at all like the old ones. I thought about using epoxy or something to hold it together.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I didn't buy the new plastic housings. I used old housings from seized motors I picked up off of ebay with some other RS parts. Epoxy or even RTV silicone would probably work. In the bottom of the metal motor housing there are some tiny dimple depressions that help snug up the fit. On one of my motors I did punch them down a little deeper with an awl/icepick before I put the two parts together.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 02, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

I'll try that thanks a lot for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode