68 chevelle fuel gauge/sender fixed - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 12, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howard

68 chevelle fuel gauge/sender fixed

About a week ago while driving the 68', I noticed the fuel gauge pedded at the full mark. Knowing that the day before it showed half. I first looked under the dash at the connections and they looked good. I went to the ground wire from the tank to the body,removed it and cleaned the looped wire end and body to clean metal and reattached.Still no help. Next I disconnected the sender lead (brown wire) inside the trunk and attached a jumper wire from the brown wire connector (that feeds signal to the gauge) and grounded it.Turned the key to the ON position and the gauge went to empty (this confirmed the gauge is working correctly).So that showed that I had to drop the tank and test the sender.I removed the tank/sender (original).Rebuilt the sender by cleaning the post, metal flex ribbon and contacts inside the float sensor.Reconnected the brown wire and ground inside the trunk and tested the sender by moving the float arm down,turned the key ON and it went to empty,moved the float arm up,turned the key ON and went to full. Sender tests OK. I decided to use a flashlight to see how the inside of the tank looked through the sender hole (rust, trash,sediment,etc.) and found a 36" piece of 1/2" hard vinyl tubing laying in the tank. This had been there a LONG time by the scratches on it. Someone appearently lost it trying to syphon gas years ago and it lodged under the float arm making it show "full".Removed it and reassembled everything back and all is back to normal.

Just Having fun with all My Big Block Toys!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 12, 07:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 68 chevelle fuel gauge/sender fixed

Good save.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode