F@#K!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

I snapped a motor mount bolt off in my block. I drilled the damn thing and tried to use an easy out but I snapped that off too! I have a 350 and it's the lower bolt on the motor mount. The top 2 are still fine, can I run it like that? This is driving me nuts, what should I do? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 09:41 AM

Is it the drivers side or passenger side. Drivers side is under more stress because as you rev it the engine wants to pull up on the drivers side. Thats why they make the torque straps for the drivers side. If it is the drivers you could think about adding a strap. If its the passenger side I don't think I would worry as much. But it would probably bother me no matter what side so i would do what I could to fix it. You could use a tiny drill bit to drill all around the broken easy out to get that out then start where you left off. After you get the easy out out then maybe you could use a heli coil repair or drill and tap it for the next bigger diameter bolt.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 01:08 PM
Tech Team

this may sound dumb I use melted wax instead of penatrating oil then a easy out naturally
you have to have the engine out of car then you melt the wax into the thread area then do the easy out thing really it works better then crc I had the fuel pump plunger plug stack on my bbc had been running a electric pump wanted a mech. for long distance street use any way it worked for me

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

I just herd about the candle wax thing last weeK. It seems very experianced exhaust people have been using it for years. Believe me they encounter some seriousley rusty stuck bolts!

[This message has been edited by mutant 68 (edited 08-31-2000).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 00, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech

Drive On. Just watch the remaining two for any signs of loosening off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 00, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Hey,
Did you try to burn it out with a torch? I snapped off an alternator mount bolt on one of my heads. Because the head was cast iron and the bolt wasn't, it melted out without hurting the head. Of course, I had to tap out the hole again, but it was no prob.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 00, 07:32 PM
David Pozzi

Try smacking the easy out with a punch, you might be able to shatter it and draw it out.

If not, you can heat it up red hot, let it cool slowly, and it should be soft enough to drill it out.

If you get the easy out drilled out keep going up in drill size. Don't go over 5/16" because that is the base drill size before tapping for a 3/8" coarse thread hole for the mount. Then try an easy out but use the straight type not the screw shaped type, and don't over do it.

Some heat and wax might help before trying the easy out.
If you have to, drill out the old bolt and re tap or if the hole is too damaged go up one size to 7/16" and drill out the motor mount hole to match.

Be very careful not to go any deeper on the hole, there is a water jacket very close.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode