exhaust pipes/gas tank...safe??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

i have a 67' camaro with headers and true dual exhaust. i am haveing the hardest time figureing out where to have the exhaust pipes come out. i know there supposed to aim down right behind the rear wheels....but i want something with a little more pizzaz than that. i wanted 2 3/4" pipes all the way through but had to use 2 1/4" in order to fit the pipe over the rear axle, back down and out at the back,right next to the back end of the rear quarter panel, because thats the only place it will fit,so we thought. but apparently it doesnt fir there because no matter what i do, they rattle against the side, theres simply not enough room. i want visible exhaust pipes,and the only other option i can think of is to just bring them up over the axle, and back down under the gas tank. is that safe. it wont be too close. but i am worried. anyone know if that'll work, or know a better solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech

I use a flowmaster force II system on my 77 nova (very similar underneath)...2 1/2" pipes exiting under the back bumper. Clearance is no problem...and I know many others use similar systems on camaros also with no problems. My pipes run between the lower rear quarters and the tank, just like your car would, and I have plenty of clearance on both sides. Enough even for a 3" system with a little room to spare. My system uses a crossflow muffler, and the tailpipes actually intrude on the rear wheel wells just a tad, but are in no danger of hitting the tires. How much clearance is between the body and the fuel tank? Has the car ever been wrecked that you know of?

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I run the Flowmaster Force II on my '68. It has 2 1/2" pipes front to back and fits very nicely. The 2 1/2" tailpipes run over the leaf spring and just below the quarter panel and exit straight back under the taillight panel.

I doubt that you need 2 3/4" pipes. My 450 HP, 331 breathes just fine through this system.

I have always believed that:

1)Loud cars just attract unwanted attention!
2)If you are looking for massive power gains from your exhaust, forget about it. Once you've added the headers and duals, for most cars there isn't 10 HP difference between the best and worst system. On the street it just doesn't matter that much whether you have 430 or 450 Horsepower!!

------------------
Paul D.

-----------------------
68RS, 331, 10.5:1, 4spd, 3.90 9", lowered, 245-45-16's all 'round
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode