My 327 tends to bog out - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I have a new 4 barrel edelbrock carb and it bogs out when cold. I have a camaro 327 RS with a powerglide tran. I'm thinking it needs smaller injecters or needs to run a little richer.When it warms up it runs pritty well, but when its still a bit cold it tends to have intake backfires. WHY? please help.

[This message has been edited by goatjj (edited 08-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by goatjj (edited 08-16-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 06:33 PM

What engine do you have? My bb is very cold blooded. I have to let it warm up awhile before I run it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

I have a 350 with an Edelbrock and it will do the same thing. Put my Holley on it and it gets much better. I was told that the Edelbrock is set to lean. A Holley of course if known to run fat.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / Blown (As in Broke)
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP
**How fast is just a matter of how much $$$ **

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 06:38 AM
Tech Team

goat, I hear Edels are hard to tune. I don;t know them at all. If you use a Holley I promise I'll get it dialed in super right for ya BUT, in the meantime, DO NOT HORSE on a cold motor. it wears the hell out of things. Plus, i know my rat pushes about 100 HP when cold. Dog. at 200 degrees though, 525+.

You run a thermostat BTW?? In Seattle, I'd run a 195.

------------------
Gene Chaas
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 08-16-2000).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 05:06 PM

I guess the first question is: do you have a choke on it? and if so, does it work? I, too, have a 327 + edelbrok carb and it runs like $#!+ when cold. I'm throwing on an electric choke next week.

BTW, my carb is super easy to tune. Two hand tighten bolts right up front. I've had other 4bbl's that were far more difficult to tune.

------------------
My RS Conv. 1
My RS Conv. 2
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 07:28 AM
BC

Goat,
I have Edelbrocks on both my Chevelle SS w/468 BBC and on my 70 Nova w/350 and they act the exact same way. I have electric choke on both and have played with them extensively to try and correct this without success. I think is has to do with how Edelbrock does the choke so that it won't change position until you floor it if it is not open all the way. On both of mine I can floor it and it will take off right after the stumble, but then it overrides the choke and fully opens the plenum. I'm guessing at this, so if anyone has a better opinion or a way to cure this, Please let me know. FYI, I run O2 sensors in both cars to verify tuning once they are warmed up, so I know the cars are tuned good but it takes a while to warm the O2 sensor so it will work right. About the time the car is warmed up, the O2 sensor is warmed and working good...so it doesn't tell me what is happening when the engine is cold. I have also tried changing rods, jets, springs, pump position, A/F ratios, etc. and nothing seems to cure it. I would like to fix this, so if anyone can help, please do so!!

BC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

I had a Carter 625 on a 350. I went out on a cold day and adjusted the choke and it worked like a champ. Hard to adjust when the bimetal strip is at outside air temp, that would be the same as trying to adjust a choke on a hot engine.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode