84 Camaro to much play in steering wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 00, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Question

My 84 has to much play in steering wheel I heard something about a way to adjust it on the steering box.Is this true?If so where the hell is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 00, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

I believe your talking about the "worm gear" , I wouldnt mess with that yet. First check your idler arm, pitman arm and center link. you could have just worn a part out , and tightning up a piece that is not bad will only cause you more headache down the road.

take it to a front end shop and have them check to see if you need some tie rod ends (most likely) or a lower Ball joint or 2. but tightning a worm gear screw will stop the "dead space" in steering, but if its not broke , then you will wear out the steering box, then your really screwed.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Edwards:
I believe your talking about the "worm gear" , I wouldnt mess with that yet. First check your idler arm, pitman arm and center link. you could have just worn a part out , and tightning up a piece that is not bad will only cause you more headache down the road.

take it to a front end shop and have them check to see if you need some tie rod ends (most likely) or a lower Ball joint or 2. but tightning a worm gear screw will stop the "dead space" in steering, but if its not broke , then you will wear out the steering box, then your really screwed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chris, Thank you for your input.I changed struts around the 1st of the month (yes the play was there before I changed them) I of coarse took it straight in for an allignment and had everything checked and greased all checked out good except one lower control arm bushing So I had them all replaced (better safe than sorry) I am fairly good at doing all my own mechanical work but I'm ashamed to say that I'm not familar with this "worm gear" adjustment You seem to know alot more about it than me So where is it and how do I adjust it You are probably right and I will live to regret it but **** on it I have tried everything else

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 06:58 PM
David Pozzi

With the steering box centered straight ahead, place an allen wrench in the screw on top of the aluminum plate on the box.
Loosen the jam nut a half turn and hold it while screwing the adjuster down. Run the adjuster screw down until you feel resistance and back off 1/8 turn.
The force you turn the screw with should be like turning a screwdriver with one hand. Don't go crazy.

The sector gear is tapered, when you screw down the adjuster you are pushing the sector gear down so the thicker part of the sector teeth are meshing with the worm gear teeth.

There is a built in tight spot where the wheel is centered to prevent road wander. You want just a little lash on center.
When test driving the car, see if the steering wheel feels like it's sticking in place near the center. The steering should move smoothly and follow the steering wheel.

If you get it too tight, you will zig zag down the road. Each correction to steering will be too much as once you overcome the resistance to start the box to move, it will overshoot and you will have to correct back.

This may show up when the box gets heated up not when cold.

You can't make up for the entire steering and ball joints being worn, but if everything else is good, it will make a new car out of it.
Let us know how it works.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 06-26-2000).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 00, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech

and to just go a little further with David's post, the alignment shop should have adjusted the steering box when they aligned the car, if you had the alignment done this month,take it back and have them adjust the box, its part of the alignment job.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
the bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode